Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions before getting a fish tank

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

The tank will be in the main sitting room which temperatures drop to about 16°C in cold winter nights to about 27°C on sunny summer days.

Is this an acceptable range - I'd like to get tropical fish.

I'd like a tank about 1M x 0.3M roughly in size.

As I'll be new to all this does anyone have any fish breed recommendations and any kit they would recommend I get to maintain a healthy environment for the fish?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

It's not an acceptable range, you'll need a heater to keep the temperature constant.

If you are completely new to fishkeeping then you'll need to learn how to "cycle" the tank. This is the process that enables the filter in the tank to build up the bacteria needed to break down waste produced by the fish.

You should get onto www.irishfishforum.com , this is the Leinster Fishkeeping Society site, we have people on our forums that range from complete novices to seasoned veterans and breeders. We will be happy to guide you through setting the tank up, stocking it and keeping it in tip-top shape.

All the best,

Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thats great advice, thanks Peter, didnt know there was an Irish site for this stuff .

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement