Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nottingham parking levy

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭

I get the impression that funds from the parking levy are being matched by central government for transport improvements.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0513/britain2.html
    British city plans business parking levy
    Tuesday, 13 May 2008 11:29

A British city plans to levy an annual fee on businesses that provide staff car parking spaces in what officials said is a previously untried move to cut congestion.

The plan by Nottingham City Council, aimed at boosting use of public transport and cycling, would see 500 of the city's largest employers hit with a £185 sterling fee for each space.

Smaller firms with 10 or fewer spaces will be exempt from the charge, scheduled to come into force from April 2010. Council members approved the scheme yesterday. They hope it will raise £5.6m pounds in the first year and just over £11m a year by 2015, with the cash spent on improving cycling, bus and tram networks.

A council spokeswoman said the scheme was the first in Britain and they were hoping for formal approval from the government this year.

The initiative is one of a number in British cities to ease traffic gridlock. London and Durham, in northeast England, both charge vehicles a daily rate to enter the city centre.

Plans for a similar congestion charge in the English East Midlands were scrapped last week after cities and councils from the counties of Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire disagreed on its implementation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I could see that being popular with the green types and very unpopular with commuters as companies cut their "green footprint" as a result.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

To be honest I think its a great idea.

If we are to look at Dublin, I don't think most people that work between the canals would need to drive to work. However extensive P&R would need to be set up throughout the city outskirts to accomadate outer suburban (midland) commuters.

Dublin is not ready for this just yet, but it should be something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭markpb

Colm R wrote: »
    Dublin is not ready for this just yet, but it should be something to aim for.

What should happen is the four city councils get a grant from central government to build one P&R on each of the N routes into Dublin and then tax anyone with parking inside the city centre corridor. That tax would then be used to pay the ongoing costs of the P&R facilities and any dedicated transport links between them and the city.

What will happen more closely resembles a big black hole reinforced by vested interests including the civil servants who benefit most from this and have the greatest say in it's implementation - DoF and the city council staff. Turkeys, Christmas, etc.

markpb wrote: »
    What should happen is the four city councils get a grant from central government to build one P&R on each of the N routes into Dublin and then tax anyone with parking inside the city centre corridor. That tax would then be used to pay the ongoing costs of the P&R facilities and any dedicated transport links between them and the city.

What will happen more closely resembles a big black hole reinforced by vested interests including the civil servants who benefit most from this and have the greatest say in it's implementation - DoF and the city council staff. Turkeys, Christmas, etc.

Sadly true!!:confused:

How much parking is really available in the city?

I usually travel down the North Strand Road on bike or bus, and I wonder are the most cars crossing the city or crossing it.

The building I am in has limited spaces which are gone by 7am.

Do most civil servants really have car spaces guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭markpb

Most senior civil servants do, I think it's first come first served for the rest. DCC HQ, for example, has a huge, multi-floored underground carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My current and previous employers both had provision of parking in the contract, albeit both were well outside the canals....

Someone had figures on here before, the majority of employer provided parking in the city is owned by the State. Something similar here would require taxing themselves!

I am in the mood for some civil servant bashing myself, however I don't think this is the place/thread for that.

So anyway, if the largest employer in the city, the state, was to do enforce this rule and take parking away from their employees (which would be incredibly difficult I know), could that go along way to solving congestian issues.

And yes, in the short term, this would require more buses and the more trains in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Nottingham businesses are threatening a legal challenge to the plan. Full story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

Colm R wrote: »
    If we are to look at Dublin, I don't think most people that work between the canals would need to drive to work. However extensive P&R would need to be set up throughout the city outskirts to accomadate outer suburban (midland) commuters.

It would need a rethink of the bus routes and/or interchange culture too. One example of an inside-the-canals destination (just) is Portobello. A commuter from Blanchardstown hasn't got many good options to get there by public transport.

Advertisement