Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Surveyors

Options
  • 13-05-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Can anyone recommend a building surveyor in the Dublin area to conduct a pre-purchase inspection? There are so many to choose from. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hey,

We used O Malley Surveys. They are based in D 13. Found them to be very reliable and got a good price too, compared t quotes from other places. i'l send ya the number of the company

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only an engineer can conduct a "structural survey".

If you are buying new, you shouldn't need a structural survey - what has the bank said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 una66

Victor wrote: »
    Only an engineer can conduct a "structural survey".

If you are buying new, you shouldn't need a structural survey - what has the bank said?

It is not new. My solicitor advised me to get a structural survey and I'm seeking a qualified surveyor only.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How old is the property?

4 years old

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Wouldnt have thought it would need a structural survey then unless there is clearly something wrong with it

I wasn't going to get one done but since I got advised to get one and I'm a first time buyer I didn't want to miss any of the steps. It's going ahead today so hope I'll soon find out how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

kearnsr wrote: »
    Wouldnt have thought it would need a structural survey then unless there is clearly something wrong with it

When i got a survey done recently on a 50 year old house the surveyor told me he would be a lot more worried about the structure of houses built in the last 10 years than older houses. Many houses built during the boom were literally thrown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cgc5483 wrote: »
    When i got a survey done recently on a 50 year old house the surveyor told me he would be a lot more worried about the structure of houses built in the last 10 years than older houses. Many houses built during the boom were literally thrown up.
    If a house has lasted 50 years and isn't exhibiting problems, its not going to suddenly fall down in year 51. Younger houses are another matter, although most problems will have shown by years 1-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Victor wrote: »
    If a house has lasted 50 years and isn't exhibiting problems, its not going to suddenly fall down in year 51. Younger houses are another matter, although most problems will have shown by years 1-5.
    Except for things like dry rot, wet rot, wood worm and anything that will seriously affect the house. Even things like rising damp can be difficult for Joe Soap to detect. Also most people cannot recognise if a 50 year old house is "exhibiting problems" such as subsidence which is why these houses need surveys done much more so than new houses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jjahbss

Would you ask a GP to do your kidney transplant?

Your solicitor is correct, get an Engineer, who will not only advise you about the existence of moisture ingress, joinery etc., but will also tell you whether or not the roof structure was erected properly or if there are signs of structural movement etc. Just because a house is relatively new or has a homebond guarantee does not mean it was built correctly.

Advertisement