Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9.6v vs 8.4v on a select fire only AEG

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Could anyone explain the advantages (if any) of useing a 9.6v instead of
    an 8.4v battery in an AEG that is designed to fire only in Semi-Auto Mode?

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

On some guns, theres a noticeable trigger lag - when you squeeze the trigger, theres a very slight pause before the gun fires. A higher voltage battery can help eliminate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ahh nice thanks. It was driving me mad wondering.

Have my eye on the Star L1A1 for ages but its on the Very Long finger until
    I can find a place that will downgrade it and the shipping issues are sorted.
    Also focusing on trying to Keep my buys Irish!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

On an aeg the piston is at rest before the trigger is pulled, so when you fire in semi the piston has to be pulled back against the spring then released.

A higher voltage means this happens quicker, a high rof has a noticeably quick semi.

My rpk which was at 19 rps has no delay in semi, only an instantaneous pop on trigger pull.

The ak on a 7.2 volt battery with stock internals has a whirr then pop as its a lot slower.

So a higher voltage gives a better semi response, but with stock trigger contacts can cause arcing and eventually corrodes the contacts increasing resistance and reducing rof/trigger response.

9.6 should be ok, any higher and you could consider a mosfet to increase responce again but more importantly take the load off the trigger contacts and stop the arcing that causes the damage to the trigger contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

9.6 should be ok, any higher and you could consider a mosfet to increase responce again but more importantly take the load off the trigger contacts and stop the arcing that causes the damage to the trigger contacts.

would always recommend a mosfet what ever the voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Bullets would need 20+ mosfets :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Some rifles specifically require a 9.6v over an 8.4v due to the piston/gearbox mating configuration. Using the lower voltage may not produce enough speed to draw the piston back fast enough for the anti-reversal latch not to come into play. This is an issue I noticed on my SR25, it can sometimes occur when the 9.6v battery is low and being fired repeatedly with quick taps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yep as the others have said, its about trigger response, although going too high with the voltage could lead to a lot of over spin, thats were the power to the motor is cut but the motion keeps going and can cock the piston back or in some cases fire a second shot,., this all depends on the voltage and the spring in the gun though.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

vtec wrote: »
    could lead to a lot of over spin, thats were the power to the motor is cut but the motion keeps going and can cock the piston back or in some cases fire a second shot,., this all depends on the voltage and the spring in the gun though.,:)

And there's where your AB MOSFETS fit in :)

yeah the active breaking is handy, not always necessary but i nice feature.,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMC

Motosam wrote: »

Eh... Whats a mosfet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

NMC wrote: »
    Eh... Whats a mosfet?

I should know considering once upon a time I did electronic engineering and
    work in a semi-conductor company!! But I am crap at electronics!
    And no nothing. All the years ago managed to bull**** my way into a job
    where I needed the qualification but did not need any of the knowledge to
    do the job...so over the years I have forgotten anything I knew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET

Short answer is a nice little fancy switch like object that will make your AEG better.
    and you can even get kits to let your AEG fire 3 round bursts for each trigger pull!!
    Yummy.

~B

its basically just a fancy relay where you have your 9.6 or whatever comming into the relay and then to the motor, then theres a low current that powers the relay which turns it on and off completing the circuit and firing the gun, it means you dont get all chrusty deposites on the trigger contacts from the higher voltage and you can also do some fancy tricks with some of the mosfets, KDs one is a programable one that does 3 round burst etc.,:).,

Advertisement