Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

Options
  • 13-05-2008 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya
    Working away on my gfs co-workers laptop trying to speed things up.
    She had an old version of Norton that I uninstalled and at the same time I installed Comodo FW and restarted the computer. Like so many times before...

Now when I try to open anything like a bookmark on the desktop or user accounts in Control Panel I get the message "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item".

I can access windows explorer though. There's only two accounts I can see on the computer, hers and the admin. I rebooted and tried Administrator as user and left password blank and the computer let me in but I still get this message! It's like something removed all read/write rights for all users on the bloody lappy :mad:

This computer needs to be working again tomorrow :o Any suggestions? It is likely to be something that happened during the uninstall of Norton or install of Comodo but now I cannot uninstall Comodo :mad:

Laptop is a Vaio vgn-bx196vp

edit: Godammit Comodo Personal Firewall. I went in in safe mode and made a new account for me. Logged in and removed Comodo. Now lappy is working again. Phew.

As a side note I removed Comodo on my gfs lappy a while back because it wouldn't let her access the internet at all. Two strikes for Comodo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

you cud use linux livecd to back up data files,pics etc,then windows restore to last restore point ,but you may lose some word files,or use emergency boot disk EBCD CDROM ,,try 1st windows dos prompt,or safe mode dos prompt to backup data files.i found i cudnt delete files on a usb drive,in winxp, i just delete them in dos prompt mode.IT wud say cannot find correct path filename etc in windows, works fine in dos mode though.ALL files on usb drive work fine,i just have 2 use dos window to delete old files .ALL files show up in windows too.Could be worth replaying present registry with backup reg,winxp keeps backups in system32 folder i think, google winxp backup registry ,its just a matter of copying backup reg,renaming the present registry files in dos mode ,or dos window .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

How much of a tit did you feel when you went over to help your girlfriend's coworker with their computer only to break it? :D

Also if you haven't been using it and for others to use in the future Norton Removal Tool.

Advertisement