Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Map update Version 720

Options
  • 12-05-2008 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Has anybody downloaded the latest version of the TT Western Europe Maps V. 720? If so has anything changed much for Ireland (that was noticeable i.e. townlonds new roads etc.) or are they prety much the same as before?

Or should I say is it worth upgrading.....?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 macker850

Got an email from TT today saying that the version 7.20 is available for downloading... Maybe I should refrase my question.

I know things have changed but have there been any major improvements in the Teleatlas mapping of Ireland in this version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Haven't tried 720 and don't think I'll bother for Irish maps (maybe for Western Europe though as I'll be driving to France over the summer). You can see the Teleatlas maps here:
    http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/ or even on Google maps / Microsoft Live maps and there's a few things I've spotted recently that are wrong or missing and have submitted feedback/corrections to Teleatlas about - e.g. the section of the outer ring road from Grangecastle through to Lucan has been open for sometime now but still appears to be absent from Teleatlas maps. Then again it also appears to be missing from Navteq maps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 macker850

Thanks , There is one thing though the Tele Atlas maps on Google maps are much better than the ones on my Tomtom which are only 1 month old now even after updating. They have townlands around Dublin & Kildare which are not on my device anyway. I bought the TT 720 only for driving in France also but it would be nice to have quality maps of Ireland if possible and I don't want to pay for Irish updates if they are still s**te. The area in france is well covered though which is what I needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

I have had a long running battle with Tomtom support over the quality of their maps in rural areas and they eventually agreed to let me have the new 720 maps free. Currently downloading, but if the maps at the http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/ are anything to go by these are just as bad, no townlands and unnamed roads everywhere. The maps at Google maps may be from teleatlas but the are many times better than the TomTom maps. I will update when I have the new maps installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Ok, update as promised. I downloaded the new 720 map and installed same. I haven't really had a chance to try it out as I'm recovering from minor surgery but basically it looks like no real improvement. I searched without avail for all townlands I can think of, there is one new estate added in the next town, but basically all the same problems are still there. To be honest I don't think the 7.* maps are going to improve, back to 6.75.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Hi there folks,

A quick question from a technophobic if you don't mind !

I just came back from the USA and I have a tomtom 3rd edition with the maps for USA & Canada on it, Now I dont know if that model is sold here but it does not have an SD card reader on it.

Anyone know where i can get my hands on a decent Irish map that I can install onto my system ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭MickH503

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=1083&Language=1&P=394# ... although you can read the discussions on here about how "decent" it is for Ireland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eogle

Got a TomTom 520 about 2 weeks ago and was able to download the 720 maps for free.
    Was away for the weekend and gave the GPS it's first off-the-beaten-track test. Was not impressed,
    Only used the 715 maps on the way back from Curry's the day i bought the thing so not sure if the 720 version is better or worse, but it's definitely not comprehensive in rural regions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wont be forking out for this for a while. To much major roadworks going on until 2012 anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I downloaded the new maps for the Go 720 and the new N9 Carlow bypass is on it. So some changes are on the new maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,925 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

are the 6.75 the older navteq? i had that on my tom tom mobile

pity the maps suck as tomtom has a nicer interface than garmin imo

Advertisement