Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dying (and coming back to life) guppie

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Ok well, I got new guppies recently in a 2nd hand tank (water was flowing for 3 weeks). 2 days now since i got them, and one of them is a bit ill i think. He swims constantly against the surface, stops, sinks for a bit...then when he hits something...he swims again for the surface. He has also got gragged up against the filter grill, but when i try to take him out...he begins to swim again. He usually goes to the corners nd then sinks. Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

He died a few minutes ago. Inevitable i think. Back to the fish shop I go, i realised its only one day since we got him! Certainly not our fault

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Possibly a swim bladder problem ?

Not sure if you can do anything about it. I've read that starving them can help, as can feeding them peas (I know ... it does sound odd).

I've had a few fish with the same symptoms you've described, and sadly they all died shortly after. :(

How is the other guppy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

sternn wrote: »
    He died a few minutes ago. Inevitable i think. Back to the fish shop I go, i realised its only one day since we got him! Certainly not our fault

Did you cycle the tank? Set-up only three weeks?
    Have you got a test kit? What are the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate Readings?
    What other stock is in the tank? How big is the tank?

Ammonia poisoning it sounds like to me which is certainly not the pet shops fault!!!!

Advertisement