Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to one particular Website.

Options
  • 12-05-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭

Anytime I try to go to www.rte.ie my browser (IE7) makes the bleep sound (like you get when the browser is about to pop up the top bar asking for Active X permission) you can actually see a bit of it starting to appear but then the browser just hangs dead & I have to do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to recover.

It does this absolutely everytime I try to connect to www.rte.ie

It's definitely something on that particular machine because my other one connects to it no problem.

I'm not fully sure but I think it could have something to do with Quicktime player because that's what the RTE site uses.

All other sites seem to open OK.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

U tried firefox?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Clear your temporary internet files, disable any quicktime addons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

make sure you have java installed, rte.ie needs the latest version of flash ,player to do anything almost.download opera and firefox 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    U tried firefox?

Funny logic PogMoThoin, that won't fix IE.....

The whole idea of posting was to see if anyone new what was causing the actual issue.

Your option is more like running away from it. :p
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Clear your temporary internet files, disable any quicktime addons.

Done that too but no change.
    gamer wrote: »
    make sure you have java installed, rte.ie needs the latest version of flash ,player to do anything almost.download opera and firefox 2.

Again, I had tried that & it hasn't sorted it.

:confused:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Your option is more like running away from it. :p

Its the answer to your probs ;) Who uses IE nowadays? Even my mother is using firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Its the answer to your probs ;) Who uses IE nowadays? Even my mother is using firefox.

The owner of the PC wants IE (Not negotiable) :D

-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I use IE. **** firefox. :)

Can you ping the site OP, after that you may have to clear your add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

why would you use IE over firefox??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Funny logic PogMoThoin, that won't fix IE.....
    And also has the potential to earn you a ban under the charter rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Install Firefox, change the Firefox icon to the IE one and rename it......never fails.

If you really want to get IE working i would remove the Flash Plugin, it has been known to cause this exact problem in my experience.

• Advertisement

Col_Loki wrote: »
    Install Firefox, change the Firefox icon to the IE one and rename it......never fails.

If you really want to get IE working i would remove the Flash Plugin, it has been known to cause this exact problem in my experience.

My point exactly, get the IE skin and they'll never know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Right next eejit who suggests FF as a fix to the problem in IE gets a ban. OP wants a solution to fix IE, not an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

In fairness, temporarily installing another browser to see if the issue persists on that is not a bad call. Telling the OP to completely change, of course, is.

U tried firefox?
    In fairness, temporarily installing another browser to see if the issue persists on that is not a bad call.

Is that not what i suggested at first?
    irlrobins wrote: »
    And also has the potential to earn you a ban under the charter rules...

Look again, I didn't.

gadgetman496, Have you tried in safe mode? have you temporarily disabled your firewall? have you actually tried firefox to see if it opens in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can use your XP/Vista Disc to repair the install files for IE7.

Advertisement