Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC wouldn't boot up

Options
  • 12-05-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

When I booted up my PC this morning the following error message came up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\Windows\System32\Config\System

Tou cann attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD ROM

I didn't get a Windows XP Setup CD-ROM with my Iqon pc so I took it to a computer shop and they did a Windows repair using an XP CD-ROM and charged me €35.

I have no idea why this happened as no new software/hardware was installed and it was working normally yesterday.

Any ideas what might have caused this?

Also, how could I fix it myself if it happens again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Operating systems are such complicated pieces of software! Sometimes an update can mess up your machine -- it's not as if you necessarily did anything wrong to cause it.

You may not have gotten CDs but there may be a 'hidden' partition on your hard drive containing an OS for recovery of your system. If so, there's usually a utility that comes with the machine which enables you to create CDs/DVDs from this partition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Run hard disk diagnostics on your hard drive, I've seen this message with failing hard drives before, especially as a repair was already attempted, hard disk may be on the way out...

Nick

Advertisement