Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom made OSs with a suite of softwares

Options
  • 12-05-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I'm not that sure of which distros (*nix/W etc)are the best for what I want to do - but I'd love to be able to snap deploy an (open source) OS across the network with my own choice of softwares including maybe one or two non OS things like MS Office and AVG Corporate.

Just came up today when a laptop hard drive died, and I'm about to snap deploy a windows install that I have from before and I thought I'd ask on here to see if there are any OS options.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ubuntu is your best bet

camara.ie use their own custom version called camarubuntu

if you dropped in i'm sure they would give you a copy

it's for educational purposes and filled with nice apps for teaching kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Cheers B. Yeah I've seen their setup and they're certainly best set up to know. I'll give 'em a call.

The thing I had in mind might even be a sellable product if someone's looking for a good web business to make some money out of. Get in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I'm not sure exactly you're talking about Edanto. If you mean a deployment tool for an open source OS then Ubuntu have one called Landscape. Unfortunately it's a paid for option for each network. I haven't heard much about it so I don't know if it's worth the money. But there's a free trial available you could try.

I'm not sure what you mean about deploying MS Office and AVG. Do you mean application installation on other non-Linux computers? Or using some sort of emulator or virtual machine within the Linux computers? If it's a deployment tool for Windows then this showed up for me on a Google search: http://wpkg.org/ Looks interesting.

Advertisement