Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question on Comparitive For English Honours

Options
  • 12-05-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Quick backstory: Missed 8 months of 6th year due to illness and was pretty much resigned to repeating. After wrking my guts out for the last while, I've decieded to go for it, and shoot for making the points for the course I want. Unfortunately I completely missed out on the comparative in english class, and so I'm at a bit of a loss.

So, I understand theres three popular questions on the comparison i.e theme, cultural context and literary genre. Here's my question.

When asked to discuss literary genre, what exactly are you supposed to discuss??

I'm studying Cinema Paridiso, Philidelphia here I come and Blackwater Lightship.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Was just about to go do a Lit. Genre essay when I saw this thread.

Okay well my understanding of LG is that it's they way in which stories are told. Always have an opening paragraph to get started where you lay out the texts you have studied and the acronyms you'll be using for them later in the essay.
    Basically you're talking about the different methods used by the author/director to tell the story. For example : Narration, Symbolism, Plot Structure and Use of Language. There are plenty of others but these are the ones I use most.
    Here's an example of a paragraph structure for mine.
    Wuthering Heights -> Narrative -> Two Narrators -> Briefly describe both narrators -> How do these narrators affect the story telling and the reader's experience?
    Then stick in a comparative link and disuss another text under narrative. For films, there is no narrative, the camera is the "omniscient viewer".

Always a good idea to get a look at some sample LG essays, and maybe take a look at the work of some others in the class to see exactly how to adapt it for your chosen texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

^walsho s a hero
    dont bothered do lit genre, just focus upon theme and cultural context, saves a good bit of hassle in my opinion! theres only 3 sections,doing 2 of them, one should ne A.O.K for the comparative if u primarily focus upon the 2 above mentioned sections;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

yeswecan wrote: »
    ^walsho s a hero
    dont bothered do lit genre, just focus upon theme and cultural context, saves a good bit of hassle in my opinion! theres only 3 sections,doing 2 of them, one should ne A.O.K for the comparative if u primarily focus upon the 2 above mentioned sections;)

True, taking any two will guarantee safety, but I don't think Lit Genre is bad really, and it's so likely to come up this year since it hasn't appeared for the past two years. Theme/Issue and LG would be my preferred options, so I'll be taking LG and learning it off very well, and covering Theme/Issue well enough just in case.
    This is the second time I've seen a thread title in here misspelling the word "Comparative" - had to go and check to make sure I hadn't been spelling it incorrectly myself the whole time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

lit genre is how the story is told. write four paragraphs on

how the setting contributes to the story
    how the story is told tragically/ humorously
    the text type of each story
    the narrative structure of each story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Thanks so much all, I really appreciate the help!!

Special thanks to ryanj, those sites are great :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fearceol

im also sitting HLEnglish this week,ryanj would you mind sending me them links too?late revision/camming i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

fearceol wrote: »
    im also sitting HLEnglish this week,ryanj would you mind sending me them links too?late revision/camming i know!
    Same here please! or else just post them here for everyone...

thanks!

Advertisement