Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer generated image very different from what is built

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I bought an apartment about a year ago from plans and a computer generated picture of how it will look

http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=artistva4.jpg

This is how it actually turned out... :confused:

http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=apartgreends3.jpg

The wooden surrounds around the side windows have been replaced by strange looking green panels. Can the builder really just change things like this as he pleases? In my opinion (and my neighbours) this has devalued the apartment as it doesn't look as good as the original wooden finish?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Gav

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

The 3d picture was just a conceptual image for the client, nothing more. It is the architects who would have specified the final materials and finishes on their working drawings and specification and then issued it to the builder. 3D visualisation drawings should never be seen as reality

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you read your contract it will say that all pictures/images are for illustrative purposes only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

I assume you bought from plan.....what did the plan say and what did your contract say with regards to finish? do you have anything contractual in any form that indicates finish?

if you do then pursue your issue through legal counsel, if you don;t then sorry it's just hard luck..as per other posts the 3d visuals are simply conceptual and shouldn;t be assumed as the finished product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gavdbyrne

Thanks for the replies!

So basically the 3D drawing could show anything to sell you the property and once sold the architect can change whatever he likes. Are you just suppose to cross your fingers and hope it turns out ok??

I know it says in the contract that some materials can be changed with other ones of equal quality, but the entire side of the building has changed. Do I even have any rights as to what colour these panels are?

I was looking at the original planning application drawings and it clearly shows "integrated timber panels where indicated" above the side view of the apartments. Would they have to submit updates to SDCC to change this?

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5674/plansjv1.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You really need to check this with your solicitor.

As for the drawing, yeah, they can almost put what they like in it, but it tends to be very very similar. Our brochure/drawing is similar to what we got, but there were certainly some differences. For me, I bought on sight and not from the plans, so I knew exactly what I was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Significant differences there between the concept picture and the finished building. Cladding, roof line, window details, balcony finishes. Was the concept picture referenced in your building contract - did you receive drawings and a specification? Have you completed the purchase?

Look for big differences between drawings & spec and the finished building - not for differences between the concept picture and the finished building, unless the concept picture is referenced in your documents. Involve the planning department if you believe there has been a departure from the original concept. Look to see how the planning application was supported - was the concept picture included?

Then look for conditions in your documents where the design can be changed without reference to you; so similar products etc.

Notwithstanding that, I think there is a case to answer. Either the picture doesn't form part of the contract, in which case it was used fraudently as it is not an accurate representation of the product, or it does form part of your contract and you have received something else. Run it by a solicitor for a quick opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Most worryingly (For me, as a 3rd party) it looks like they've replaced 2 large windows with wooden panels with 1 small window with PVC/Other panelling.

I agree with both viewpoints here i think:
    1) It's dangerous to rely on artists impressions for the final product
    2) the building looks significantly less attractive than the renders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

God that's ugly. It would have been nice had it looked like the drawing.

A friend of mine had something similar happen and after about 2 years going through legal hoops he got a lot of money back from the developer as compensation. About 20% of what he paid if i remember correctly.

+1 for Solicitor.

From what I can see, the finished building looks a lot cheaper than the original image, all the detailling has been abandoned and replaced with simple PVCu frames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

God that's ugly. It would have been nice had it looked like the drawing.

A friend of mine had something similar happen and after about 2 years going through legal hoops he got a lot of money back from the developer as compensation. About 20% of what he paid if i remember correctly.

+1 for Solicitor.

Great advice and I totally agree, it looks like a cheap government building. The original plans look a lot better and I would be pissed off big time if those changes where made. The light exposure is cut in half with the missing windows and that green is a terrible colour. What about interiors, anything changed. +1 for Solicitor.
    From what I can see, the finished building looks a lot cheaper than the original image, all the detailling has been abandoned and replaced with simple PVCu frames.

Exactly, looks like the developer is saving money at your expense.

Thanks for all the replies!

I will follow up with my solicitor whether he received drawings and a specification. I paid the deposit and signed the contracts last year.

Also, is there a way I can find out from the council/planning office whether design changes were submited to them after the original I mentioned?

The interiors look to be fine although I've still to do a snag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

gavdbyrne wrote: »
    Also, is there a way I can find out from the council/planning office whether design changes were submited to them after the original I mentioned?

Phone the planning office first, you may need to pay a visit to compare documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most timber external cladding looks manky after only a few years and it is never maintained.

The council might have issues with the change in materials and details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

If you contact the council, they will give you copies of all planning permissions obtained for this address. If you make a formal complaint for enforcement of planning permission, the council is obliged to follow it up see here for details:
    http://planning.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_simplefaq&task=display&Itemid=&catid=137

In fact you may be better to obtain the paperwork for this but not to submit your complaint until you have spoken to the developer. Once a complaint is submitted to the council you can't withdraw it, so you have no bargaining position with the developer as regards compensation.

Advertisement