Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P*ssed off...

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

As I sit here on a beautiful sunny May 12th, 3 weeks before the leaving cert (day off of course, we had an extra day so we HAD to take it :rolleyes: ), I feel it's about time I give my opinion on this so called 'exam'.

Since day one 6 years ago when I entered secondary school right up until this very day I 've given 110% at everything I've done in school, got A's in essays, course work, comprehensions...student of the year numerous times, so many trophies for projects I could sell them - "so what!?" you might say..

Well for the last few weeks I've lost every ounce of motivation I once had..I just don't seem to be able to concentrate AT ALL. The frustration is just unreal :mad:! And then it came to me what a sh*tty system we have...unlike most other countries in the world, our efforts and knowledge is put to the test in a matter of hours instead of a judgement of our overall performance throughout our years in secondary school. What about the people like me, who for some strange reason, have lost all motivation, yet have given 110% for the last 6 years in the classroom in everything we do? How can you justify testing people on 5/6 years of preperation in 3 or 4 hours!?! :confused:

It just baffles me at times. This might sound like a rant, because it probably is, but I just had to get it off my chest. ANY tips on how I can get my 'spark' back would really be appreciated guys and girls..but it just seems like the train has already left the station with all those eager to learn on board..and I'm left standing on the platform...clueless...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

well since you have given so much already into school work, i m sure you know most of the course at this stage :)
    Just read through chapters for starters to refresh everything :)

But.. im in the same spot as you are.. it just doesnt go in anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bowden

Well I havn't done much work ... but I went to a few of my friends college (UCD) and seen everyone around and that was enough for me. Really made me feel Sh*t I wanna go here and I gotta put in the work NOW, so thats what I've been doing I've actually been studying.

Maybe you should visit UL and then think If I don't work I won't be here.

And you just have to think damn If I don't study I won't have 4 more years of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Same as you OP, had loads of academic awards and crap in secondary school and then dossed for the leaving cert. Can't tell ya why i did but i did. i was lucky that the course i wanted was only 370 points so the hard work for the first 5 years set me up nicely to get that but i honestly couldn't tell ya what i learned in 6th year. if you don't have a surreal amount of points to get, don't worry about it. Working your ass off till now will stand to you big time

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bowden

RedXIV wrote: »
    Working your ass off till now will stand to you big time

Don't get complacent and do the work now JUST do it, its not that long till the exams start so you don't have to study for months on end!

Take a break for a day or two. Go out, enjoy the air, go to a concert, whatever. But give yourself a break. Don't feel bad about 'wasting time', if you're are relentlessly putting information into your head at some stage it might be not stick, so breaks are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I like not having to worry about university and stuff until near the end of 6th year. So you see, the system can't suit everybody. What you have to keep in mind is that the world owes you nothing. Just suck it up. Essential life skill. In the future, you'll have to work much harder than what the LC demands just so you can buy food and nice things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

It sucks, but just apply yourself for the next few weeks and ace the exams. Then you can sunbathe all summer/get a job and earn some cash, then go to college and spend all your time boozing, playing pool, having sex/working hard, whatever you want. Once this exam is under your belt you're your own man, and you can do whatever you want, you've done your time and you don't have to answer to anyone else!

Feel like bumming around the world, lying in beaches, living like a hobo? Go for it. I may quit my job and do that right now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I think you're going to do well.This is just a release of frustration.You know what you want to do and you know what you need to get.Its 5 weeks in all and then you're finished.We usually have 12 weeks in summer and look how quick it goes.3weeks today you put in a good bit of work now and you'll see how much you remember from putting in the work.Goodluck in exams and take a break when frustrated ,its an exam at the end of the day and there's no point losing much sleep over.

Advertisement