Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving barefoot

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Me and friend are having debate over whether this is legal.

So is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've never come across and legislation specifying that a driver must have footwear while driving in a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatever its legality it sure ain't safe and looking at most pedals not clean or comfy either.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

There was a story maybe last year or the year before about a woman being stoped by the guards and summonsed for not having appropriate footwear for driving, she was wearing sandals, I think it was in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Illegal? Seriously?
    I do it the odd time. Comfortable. No difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I could not imagine anyone wanting to drive barefoot to be honest. Safety aspects aside it would be very unfortable to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

250882 wrote: »
    There was a story maybe last year or the year before about a woman being stoped by the guards and summonsed for not having appropriate footwear for driving, she was wearing sandals, I think it was in Mayo

Wearing sandals is different to driving barefoot, and definitely has safety implications. Sandals with an open design can allow a pedal to get caught between your foot and the sole of the sandal, which could obviously end in disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Have done it once or twice after training when i'd forgotten my shoes/feet were sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

250882 wrote:
    phutyle wrote: »
    Wearing sandals is different to driving barefoot, and definitely has safety implications. Sandals with an open design can allow a pedal to get caught between your foot and the sole of the sandal, which could obviously end in disaster.
    The woman in question may have been driving dangerously hence the involvement of the Gardai. Her footwear or lack of it may have impeded her driving. However that does not make driving barefoot illegal.

For example, prior to the recent ban on using a telephone while driving, one could still be prosecuted for driving dangerously while using a telephone. That however, did not mean that driving while using a telephone was illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I drive barefoot coming back from the beech - to much effort to get sand off feet & put runners back on!

But I heard before that you could be pulled!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I seriously doubt Irish legislation is sophisticated enough to cover it. I'd also disagree with it being unsafe. Why would it be unsafe? Might feel funny if you're not used to it but that would last about 10 mins and not really any different than driving in a new pair of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Gegerty wrote: »
    I seriously doubt Irish legislation is sophisticated enough to cover it. I'd also disagree with it being unsafe. Why would it be unsafe? Might feel funny if you're not used to it but that would last about 10 mins and not really any different than driving in a new pair of shoes.

agree 100%. how is this not safe? i do it all the time in summer, and afaik, most women who wear heels would take them off before driving, because driving with heels is impossible (so my wife tells me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

I drive in flip flops all time in summer. Barefeet would be even safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

How would they know unless they pulled you over for another traffic offence, or a random checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

cobweb wrote: »
    Me and friend are having debate over whether this is legal.

So is it?

Its illegal in Australia, and its informed there too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Driving in flip-flops is dangerous, can't see what the problem with driving barefoot is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If they made it illegal to drive barefoot or in sandals, then they'd have to issue fairly decent guidelines as to what footwear is acceptable.

Are heels acceptable?
    What height heel is the maximum?
    Are runners acceptable if they're not laced properly?
    What is it about feet that make them unsuitable for operating the pedals without an appropriate covering?

Based on that and the fact that I've NEVER come across any instruction (from driving instructors to Gardai) with regards to my footwear, I would have to say that it's not illegal to drive barefoot.

However, if a Garda believed that you were not in full control of your vehicle (or that you posed a danger to yourself or others) due to your choice of footwear, they would be within their rights to "have a chat" with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I can't imagine how or why this would be illegal - where have you people heard this?

I've driven without shoes before and I find that when I am doing so that I have greater control over the pedals as I am in direct contact with them and don't have to go through my footwear to get to them. Gives a greater feeling of connection with the pedals thats for sure.

You should all try it sometime, in fact, if I wasn't so lazy I would probably drive in just socks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I've driven without shoes before and I find that when I am doing so that I have greater control over the pedals as I am in direct contact with them and don't have to go through my footwear to get to them. Gives a greater feeling of connection with the pedals thats for sure.

Yea ill agree with that, definatly have more control of pressure etc barefoot than if wearing big heeled boots or the likes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you have to stand on the brakes suddenly, I doubt you'd be able to exert the same force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Would depend somewhat on the car I think with pedal stiffness and how rough surface of pedal is. On my car at least the pedals are not overly stiff and are quiote smooth so I dont imagine it would be a problem to brake hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

I think this idea that driving barefoot is illegal is nothing more than an urban legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Berwick wrote: »
    I think this idea that driving barefoot is illegal is nothing more than an urban legend.

Don't bump 4 year old threads please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement