Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way for newbies?

Options
  • 12-05-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Myself and a couple of mates want to do some of the Wicklow Way in the couple of weeks (once the exams finish). We don't know much about hiking and are complete newbies, but from what I understand the Wicklow Way, while not being an 'easy' walk, is well signed, has lots of people around, and is along the beaten path. Would this be right?

How long would the whole thing take? I think it's bout a week, no?

Well we were just gonna go for 2 or 3 days really. What's the best plan for this? We live in Tallaght (Dublin), so should we get the bus to maybe Glendalough, and then walk from there back towards Marlay Park?

Any more ideas?

We'll take adequate provisions :) We can read maps, etc

Also, what accomodation to people usually use? We were gonna get a tent, I presume there's campsites along the way, yeah?

Thanks folks! Share your wisdom!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Start of by buying the 'The Wicklow Way map guide' by EastWest mapping.
    You can pick it up in Easons for around 12 euro. Excellent guide for planning your walk. I would start from Marlay Park and walk outwards, as all of the hostels, B&Bs, hotels are in that direction.

No, there aren't a lot of campsites along the way.. The whole thing is around 127 kms long. The nicest sections are from Marlay Park as far as Aughavannagh (IMHO).

Glendalough back to Marlay would only take about three days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Start of by buying the 'The Wicklow Way map guide' by EastWest mapping.
    You can pick it up in Easons for around 12 euro. Excellent guide for planning your walk.

Cheers, I'll pick that up
    I would start from Marlay Park and walk outwards, as all of the hostels, B&Bs, hotels are in that direction.

Aren't they also, y'know, in the other direction? :D Or am I missing something?
    No, there aren't a lot of campsites along the way.. The whole thing is around 127 kms long. The nicest sections are from Marlay Park as far as Aughavannagh (IMHO).

Ahh... sucks bout the campsites :(
    Glendalough back to Marlay would only take about three days.

Well that's about as long as we were gonna go for, so it might be perfect.

Thanks Krusty_Clown!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Aren't they also, y'know, in the other direction? :D Or am I missing something?
    :)
    Not for the last 40kms or so! Don't think they'd appreciate you camping in Marlay Park either. There are some good camping spots around Glencree though. Just mind you're rubbish.. Some filthy feckers are ruining the place.. :mad:

Here's some maps I've overlaid on google maps of the trek from Marlay Park to Glendalough: here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭donaghs

If you're just going to Glendalough/Laragh, and are feeling fit, you can get there in two days. You can stay in Knockree An Oige Hostel, or camp down by the Glencree river - not actually a camp site, just a popular spot. Experiences there can vary depending on whether there happen's to be any ignorant f***ers camping nearby. As earlier poster said, you know yerself, its best to keep the place clean, and all that sort of thing.

Most of the hostels in Laragh seem to have closed, including the camp site in the Old Mill. Glendalough has an An Oige hostel. This is more expensive than Knockree (higher standard), and is often booked out in advance. There is the possibility of camping in the woods but I don't know anyone who has ever done this. St. Kevin's bus will bring you back to Dublin from Glendalough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

If you feel like a long days walk, you can do glendalough to marley in one day, quite happily with the long evenings. It's a fairly long day, but I've done it before a few times, just with friends, just walking, not moving particularly fast.

You could also do it quite happily in 3 days, taking it easy, or carrying a lot of gear, maybe make some detours off the wicklow way to pick up nearby summits, if that's what you want...

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. Looks like we're going from Glendalough to Marley Park, starting on Wednesday and hopefully getting home by Friday afternoon! I just hope the weather holds up :(

Question for the knowledgeable: is the best way of getting to Glendalough by taking St Kevin's Bus?
    http://www.glendaloughbus.com/route.html

Do ya have to buy tickets in advance or can ya just pay at Stephens Green?

Cheers lads.

ps. We've got a tent, so looks like we're camping..... just hope we don't get arrested or killed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Question for the knowledgeable: is the best way of getting to Glendalough by taking St Kevin's Bus?
    http://www.glendaloughbus.com/route.html
    Yeah, that's how I'd go there when going on such a walk.
    Do ya have to buy tickets in advance or can ya just pay at Stephens Green?
    I've always just paid as I got on the bus.
    One thing, if it's a particularly nice day, or you think the bus will be busy, maybe go early, some times it gets full.

That's the fear, cos the next one isn't til like 4.30 or so :( I'll get there early, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

:)
    Not for the last 40kms or so! Don't think they'd appreciate you camping in Marlay Park either. There are some good camping spots around Glencree though. Just mind you're rubbish.. Some filthy feckers are ruining the place.. :mad:

Here's some maps I've overlaid on google maps of the trek from Marlay Park to Glendalough: here.

Just to say, KC, you are to be commended thereon for this mapping exercise

Thanks. :) But most of the solutions to put this together come from other people..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Hello

We are planning to do some walks along the wicklow way this summer.
    The idea is leave one car at the start and one car at the finish line ...
    So we can find and locate marlay park and wanted to get to Knockree.... but WHERE does the trail come out at knockree?
    Looking at the wicklow way website this is an approx 7 hours walk? Is that true to form?
    Any suggestions and ideas, very welcome............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

right at the hostel. Here

7 hours is generous enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

donaghs wrote: »
    If you're just going to Glendalough/Laragh, and are feeling fit, you can get there in two days. You can stay in Knockree An Oige Hostel, or camp down by the Glencree river - not actually a camp site, just a popular spot. Experiences there can vary depending on whether there happen's to be any ignorant f***ers camping nearby. As earlier poster said, you know yerself, its best to keep the place clean, and all that sort of thing.

QUOTE]

be careful about camping at the river near Knockree. scenic but close to dublin. meaning you might have an undesirable element there in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

donaghs wrote: »

Most of the hostels in Laragh seem to have closed, including the camp site in the Old Mill. Glendalough has an An Oige hostel. This is more expensive than Knockree (higher standard), and is often booked out in advance. There is the possibility of camping in the woods but I don't know anyone who has ever done this. St. Kevin's bus will bring you back to Dublin from Glendalough.

I camped out in Crones woods last weekend. its coillte so it is permitted. An enjoyable experience. I recommend you move a few km from the carpark. That night there were teenagers partying nearby and they just left all their rubbish behind.

Advertisement