Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super hyper active dog... skinny D:

Options
  • 12-05-2008 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Recently picked up a, what appears to be, short haired Springer spaniel or pointer mix bitch from the pound a few weeks

Young dog, about over a year old. Has had all her vaccination shots and been wormed.

So that said, regardless of how much she eats [she eats a lot (Pedigree dry feed mixed with Pedigree canned food) :eek:] she's pretty thin where you can make out the ribs quite clearly.

This normal [young hyper active phase with so much energy to burn - Never see her walk, always running and bouncing everywhere], and nothing to be worried about ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 georgina

Oh my god, my dog is the exacte same...well she was. people were always saying to me 'your dogs very thin'. It used to really upset me because I felt like I was neglecting her! I even had her in with the vet and he said she wasn't emaciated and was just very high energy and just like a slim person...

After talking to another girl, she suggested I change her dog food from Bakers to a better one...i tried Royal Canin for small adult dogs and weigh out her food and she has put on a small bit of weight and it seems to have calmed her down a little bit too. My friend sais the Bakers is full of sugar, hence the hyper-ness and the skinny-ness....(I think)

Just my Experience...
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Firstly I'd change her onto a decent food. I feed Nutro but I know others on here feed Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Hills etc. If you don't see any improvement then you might take her down to the vets where they'll do some tests to see if it's anything that they can explain, e.g. thyroid problems, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Dogs very rarely have an over active thyroid as such, its generally under active that they have. But sometimes they do have a very high metabolism. feeding them on a high proformance food such as hills proformance or arden grange prestige should help. But would always reccomend taking them to the vet for a blood test to see if everythign is going ok with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Oh Gawd .. its all ahead of us. I thought they calmed down at 1. :rolleyes:

Advertisement