Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive USb & external dvd rom not being picked up by windows

Options
  • 12-05-2008 12:41am

Just wondering if anyone can please help. Just bought an external usb hard drive. The problem is that when i connecect it to the desktop via usb its not being detected.

does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem. Desktop is windows vista. This also hapens with my external dvd rom drive. I have tried using differnet usb ports and still wont work

Thanks

RSVP !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is it self powered or does it have an extra power plug for it?

Self powered ones may not work in all machines or ports because some machines are not rated to give the full 500mA of a USB out.

has pwer supply but doesnt work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are the chipset drivers for the pc installed? Also did you try alternative ports such as the ones at the back of the machine to rule out a disconnected cable?

Nick

Are the chipset drivers for the pc installed??? <- whats does that mean and yes i have tried the usb ports in the back

• Registered Users Posts: 82,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

has pwer supply but doesnt work

..................well you cant expect that to work then, now can you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement