Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping to pass Irish

Options
  • 11-05-2008 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

I know theres only like three weeks to the leaving and its probably a bit late to be doing this, but I really want to drop to pass Irish. I know most of the honours course pretty well. I'm fine for An Triail and Honours Poetry, but i know no Stair Na Gaeilge and I have never written an Aiste without notes in front of me.

I got 74% in my Christmas Exams (HL) but that was without an Aiste and i cheated in the Stair na Geailge. So basically if i did HL Irish i'd probably get about 60-65% but it would literally take me like five full days before the exam to study for it, which would cost me points in my other exams.

I'm tempted just to drop down. It would mean i'd have to do less study and i wouldnt have to write an Aiste or do Stair Na Gaeilge. And i wouldnt have to do An Triail or the honours poetry. I could probably get a B1/A2 in OL which would be like 50 points. But i don't care cos i most likely won't be counting Irish if i drop down. My second worst subject is Economics which i should get about 70 points in.

Just wondering if i should drop down. Cos it would mean i'd have to learn the Litir/sceal. Any of you doing this/ have done this? Any advice on what i should do? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If you don't need HL Irish and feel it won't even be included in your 6 best, drop it. It will relieve some pressure and will give you more time to focus on other subjects you could improve on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

From what I've heard from the pass class, the difference in level is gigantic. They write a half a page essay, honours writes a 3 page essay... (may be slightly dramatised.)

Stair na Gaeilge is worth 30 points. If I recall correctly, all of Irish is 600 points, so it's worth 5%. Not worth dropping down over. (Also, if you learn the Fiannaíocht and the Ruraíocht and maybe a couple of other topics, not much like, there's a good chance you'll be able to answer the question. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain in it.)

To me, it seems madness to drop down at this stage. You've been doing honours Irish for how many years... why go through all the pain and then just drop down to pass anyway.

If it's a case where you think you might actually fail it unless you kill yourself working, then yes, drop down, otherwise I say keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Yes i know stair na gaeilge is only a tiny proportion of the exam, but the aiste is like 25%.

I can only fit so much into my head when it comes to irish, and at this stage all i can shove in is The honours poetry and An Trial. The only pros and filiocht i know at all are Clare sa Speir, Níl Aon Ní and Mo Ghille Mear. If i try to cram in a couple of aistes my head will explode.

I know i've been doing honours for six years but i just can't be bothered anymore. I'd prefer to put all my effort into Economics which i could get up to a C1 or a B3 easily. I don't think i can do that without dropping to pass irish. Last Xmas, I worked really hard at Irish and go a B3 (no aiste) and i failed Economics (39%) cos i didnt study anything for it and my teacher is a VERY hard marker. I could get that E up to a C1/B3 with a couple of days study but it would take a lot of work for me to keep that B3 in Irish.

But is it safe to do it so late? I mean i have three weeks to learn the pass course. Basically its just the letter/sceal cos that rest is the same as the honours course. All i really want is a B1/A2 in OL Irish, it can't be that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

do it.

i did my exams last year and i dropped to pass irish on the day of the exam so its never too late.its ridiculous how easy the pass is in comparison to the honours.the one thing you'll really notice is the difference in the questions in the Listening Exam.its scarily simple :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

You mentioned you're ok for numerous parts of the course.

I'm not really ok for any parts but I'm gonna keep up Honours, three weeks won't make much difference at this stage I reckon.

• Advertisement

Riotguy wrote: »
    You mentioned you're ok for numerous parts of the course...

well, to be realistic, i'll be okay for parts of the course after a couple days of really hard study. I could get a C2 in honours but it' wouldnt be worth the study.

Here's my logic:
    My two worst subjects are economics and Irish.
    If i keep irish and study hard ill probably get a C2/C3 in Irish and a D1 in Economics (which won't be counted).
    If i drop and concentrate on Economics i could easily get a C1/C2 in Economics and probably get 50 points in Irish (which won't be counted).

So I could do better at economics with less work and be studying something I enjoy. The only way this could work out bad for me is if something goes wrong in another subject. But i'm fairly comfortable in my other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cian1991ferrari

Yeah i recently dropped to pass Irish and i find it a breath of fresh air!
    I do 5 honors now and 2 pass cause i dropped maths too but irish is a lot easier at ordinary. The leamhthuiscint is especially easy to pik up points on and the sceal, aiste, litir, etc are not hard to pick up. Phrases are easily learned from books and revise wise, less stress.. etc. I would recommend dropping down if you do not need irish.

just dropped there, but schools over so im gonna have to study it all alone. seems easy enough tho. thanks

Advertisement