Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny cat and kittens

Options
  • 11-05-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

So granny cat might be a bit of a strange word considering the "granny" is only about 1 1/2 years old. Anyway, she had kittens herself last year and we kept one. She then got neutered but the kitten we kept has just had kittens and she's acting a little strange. She's not around during the day much and then when she does appear she's a bit wierd. Hissed at the kittens today and their mum but at the same time plays with the mum and eats out of the same bowl as her.

Do I need to be worried about her with the kittens???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Just keep an eye on them and make sure they are not left alone together. I'd say if the "Granny" cat was going to hurt them, the "Mammy" cat would protect them. I'd say her nose is just a bit out of joint with the new arrivals.
    Also, it is nicer to neuter and spay your cats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

I know, I always do neuter or spay them but she was pregnant when I was going to get it done and I don't like the idea of aborting kittens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I'm dealing with a colony at the mo & many were pregnant. In an ideal world I could afford emotions but I have to be realistic. So I've aborted a lot of kittens. Harsh as it may sound, I think the cats might thank me for it. It's only when they are too far gone (on advice from a brilliant vet) that I don't. That's why I've kittens running around my legs as I type.
    What I'm trying to say is spaying would always be the prefered option.
    They are cats & our emotions based on people should not dictate what is best for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Why would allowing a cat to have kittens not be a good thing for her? Is reproducing not a natural thing for all animals?

I will be getting the cat spayed when the kittens are 6 weeks old as I did with her mother.

Advertisement