Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad FPS from Nvidia 8600M GT

Options
  • 11-05-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

I'm sure not a lot of people are even going to click this, let alone reply but anyway.

Ok, basically I've getting ****ty FPS since a few nights ago when I uninstalled some games that I don't play anymore. (those games were GTA 1, GTA:SA, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, TrackMania Nations, Audiosurf demo and also Source SDK Base and Source SDK for building maps.) After I was finished I turned off my computer and went to bed, tried to play Counterstrike the next day and got an FPS of 10.

What I've gathered from this is that when uninstalling one of the games took something with it that I needed. I'm not saying this is true, but it just seems like this.

I've done a full circle with installing drivers, installed DirectX 9 to make sure that wasn't ****ed with and I've determined that neither of those are the problem. I'm also aware that the 8600m GT is notorious for having problems. But still...

so heres the mandatory answer to "whats your setup" question. I am infact running everything off a laptop (I don't see why it should matter, since everything was working fine anyway.)

Dell (yes I know) Inspiron 1520
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2Ghz
    2046 RAM
    32-bit Vista
    NVIDIA 8600M GT

Looking foward to hopefully fast suggestions, as there not much else I do on this but play games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Firstly, how is the 8600GT notorious for having problems? :confused:

Anyway, check there's no sort of power saving on, or under clocking of the card.

secondly, uninstall the current drivers, use driver cleaner pro to clear all traces. Restart, run driver cleaner pro again, then install the latest modded drivers from www.laptopvideo2go.com

What drivers were you using, and was the problem just Source, or all games?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is there anything else running in the background that could be maxing out your processor/graphics card/ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Theres no power saving or under clocking going on. I installed the driver you suggested, and I installed the suggested driver, (which made around 1/100 of a difference to my systems performance.) And I was just using the drivers from Dell beforehand.

After taking some time, I've noticed that the entire systems performance is lacking, not just the games (all games BTW, not just source)

And no, there isn't anything thats running in the background that's using up a lot of anything.

It has to be kept in mind that this problem only occurred directly AFTER uninstalling those games. Everything was working fine and moving absolutely smoothly before it, was able to play TrackMania Forever with the dell drivers with zero hassle at good quality settings.

Advertisement