Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable Creeper

• 11-05-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

I've put a heavy trellis on top of a wall to regain some of the privacy we used to have before our neighbors decided to cut down some trees, I'm looking for a suitable creeper that would flower and give us some coverage during the winter.
    Another neighbor used to have a creeper that had a pink and white flower, their creepers gone and they've moved:)
    The wall faces N/E and the area is decked so I'd have to grow it from a large planter.
    I know "NOTHING" about gardening :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

It's good to see that I'm not alone when it comes to "Knowing nothing about gardening";)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I sent you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I was in the same boat this time last year, got some advice from here and went to the garden sentre and just got a randomish selection of stuff from the climbing plants section. I just looked for things that siad eergreen on the label! I got a couple of pyracanthus which had lovely berries in winter and look great but are thorny f**k**s and cut the hands off me putting them in. I got some clematis and honeysuckle and solunum crispum glasnevin, all of which look amazing just now. Maybe a proper gardener wouldn't put in the combinations or variety that I did but I think my back wall looks great now. The tallest of the plants is about a foot over the top of the trellis. The clematis died back more than I thought it would so there were a couple of bare patches over winter.
    I know little about gardening but my approach is to just try things and see what happens!

the bbc gardening section has a useful plant finder tool http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/index.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

OP, I think you are talking about Clementis. They wont flower for you year round.

I've recently put up a large lattice planter in my front garden, and wanted the same idea, privace. You want something that will give good year round coverage.

I'm training a lovely light green and pale yellow ivy around the lattice, and a lovely red climbing rose to grow from the centre.

You can grow the ivy / climbing plant from a good deep planter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭angelface2008

Trachleospernum jasminoides(star jasmine) is a lovely climber,its evergreen with star shaped jasmine like white flowers that have a gorgeous scent,it will grow 18ft x 18ft in the right conditions,also your clematis will benefit greatly from being cut back at the end of season or just before spring and covering the bottom of the plant with a piece of broken pot or a rock as they hate any sun here,if your planting in a pot get the biggest one you can accomodate and make sure to feed well as any plants in pots take nutrients from compost and the rest of them leach out through watering.Another nice plant is the clematis armandii,its evergreen with scented white flowers and a vigorous grower,good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Indeed

http://www.eplants.com.au/DisplayProductImage.asp?ID=3285

Chinese star jasmine is a good plant for cover, I'm just not sure how fast it will grow.

If you want a superfast screening plant, trying a clumping bamboo. (Not a running bamboo. Unless you'd like to see it pop up in your neighbour's garden. And across the road. And possibly two streets over.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lulubell

Wisteria! Fab;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

lulubell wrote: »
    Wisteria! Fab;)

Wisteria - difficult & fussy!

Advertisement