Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green card interview

Options
  • 11-05-2008 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi to all, myself and my girlfriend will hopefully be getting called for our greencard interview in the US embassy in Dublin (she is getting sponsored by an employer in America)
    I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this?
    What sort of questions would they ask etc etc
    Any info would be greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

My experience was pretty straightforward. This was in 2003, so things may have changed - maybe somebody who's done it more recently can chime in. As long as all your ducks are in a row you'll be fine. They don't particularly want not to give it to you, so as long as you have all your paperwork in order, and can demonstrate that you're not going to be a drain on the economy (ie you have a job offer, or you have a lot of cash in the bank) and you don't turn up drunk, it'll be fine. Questions tend to be along the line of "What kind of work will you be looking for? Why do you want to go the US? Do you have family over there?" Nothing tricksy. Just be honest, and use your common sense (ie don't say "I want to destroy the system from within").

A couple of things nearly tripped me up. Firstly, make sure you have the CASH on hand to pay for the full process. This may have changed since 2003, but back then they didn't accept cheques or credit cards. The price is in Dollars, and you can pay either in Dollars or Euro. They will offer a poor conversion rate, so if you convert to Dollars before you show up it will be cheaper.

Secondly, have an address in the US to put on the form. They need a US address to send the card to. You have to provide this even if you don't yet know where you will stay. Use a friend or relative's address, and you can change it later.

I think that's all.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

Thanks very much Ajos, much appreciated

Ive actually heard a different story about the U.S embassy in Dublin, people have been saying that they are notorious w***ers!!
    That they dont like giving them out because you are basically taking a job from an American. How true it is i dont know.
    Thats interesting about the money do you remember how much it is/was?
    Also i was wondering how did you obtain your green card? if you dont mind me asking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

It was the DV lottery. Perhaps it's harder if it's a sponsorship - I don't know. I can't remember the price, and I'm sure it's changed anyway. It was spelled out in the letter I received, though. The payment wasn't a surprise, just the fact that it had to be in cash! If you call them up they'll tell you what you need to know, I'm fairly sure.

Everybody was very nice when I was there!

Advertisement