Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No hard drive detecable, No bootable devices

Options
  • 11-05-2008 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

I got bluescreened and went the laptop when to re-start I got the following messages

No hard drive drive deteced, please try re-seating the drive etc etc
    and
    No bootable devices dectected, press F1 to retry, F2 to go into setup.

After a bit off pillicking about in set-up I got it to start-up, I think i just switched off the checking for drive's on start up.

It's a Dell inspiron 1720, only 5 months old so the HDD should be fine. The chances of this being a one off are probaly slim yea?

Apart from backing everything up is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

When the Dell Logo appears at start up, press F12 repeatidly to get the boot menu list of options.
    Select Diagnostic's (or its equivalent) from the menu, run a complete diagnostics test (which includes the hard drive) this will tell you if theres any issues with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

majiktripp wrote: »
    When the Dell Logo appears at start up, press F12 repeatidly to get the boot menu list of options.
    Select Diagnostic's (or its equivalent) from the menu, run a complete diagnostics test (which includes the hard drive) this will tell you if theres any issues with it.

I have the same problem as chucky above ,error message (No bootable devices dectected, press F1 to retry, F2 to go into setup.)

. Wouldnt know alot about computers but did the diagnostic and everything ok except i got a fail under the heading DST short status test, saying no drive detected. Would appreciate some help as i havnt a clue what to do. Does this mean the laptops fu**ed?? Its a dell inspiron 1300

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is the laptop making any strange nosies ?

go into bios and press ALT-F to reset to factory defaults
    there is a good chance the drive is dead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

is the laptop making any strange nosies ?

go into bios and press ALT-F to reset to factory defaults
    there is a good chance the drive is dead :(

No strange noises at all

Tried the alt -f in bios but no change.

Looks like a trip to bargain alerts to see if i can find a good deal on a laptop:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I saw an ancient Inspiron 8000 throw this error after getting a bout of lightning, or so the owner told me. The hard drive hadn't failed but replacing it (and the DVD drive) fixed it -- the controllers and motherboard were fine.

It might be worth trying another drive if you can get one. It's easy to fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement