Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T.V's bought up north

Options
  • 11-05-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

i know tv's bought up north dont have the tuner required to work on basic pipe into a house down south but what channels would you actually be losing, is it all of them or just the irish ones, i have ntl pipe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you're a digital subscriber, you won't lose any channels by viewing through your decoder.

It's quite likely the tuner is for UHF channels, however. In that case, you would lose any analogue channels on the VHF band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

ethernet wrote: »
    If you're a digital subscriber, you won't lose any channels by viewing through your decoder.

It's quite likely the tuner is for UHF channels, however. In that case, you would lose any analogue channels on the VHF band.

no digital, just plain and simple ntl pipe into my house, i think il only lose the irish channels but im not 100 percent sure

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

no digital, just plain and simple ntl pipe into my house, i think il only lose the irish channels but im not 100 percent sure
    If it's just NTL analogue you have, I'm pretty sure most of the channels are on VHF, so you'd lose them wiht a UFH-only TV.

Note that not all TV's bought "up North" are UHF-only. So, I think you should check that it has VHF before purchase.

its so stupid that they make one tv for up north and another for the south arrrgh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its not stupid.
    UK dropped VHF for broadcast so instead they have Freeview/Freesat tuners in its place.
    The Irish & Mainland Europe models has UHF/VHF tuners.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    Its not stupid.
    UK dropped VHF for broadcast so instead they have Freeview/Freesat tuners in its place.
    The Irish & Mainland Europe models has UHF/VHF tuners.

it is!!! they should have super tv's that have every different sort of tuner possible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Most manufacturers do, Panasonic don't. They tailor the TV to the market being sold in ala their new PX71 series with built-in Freesat tuner for UK market.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

ongarite wrote: »
    Most manufacturers do, Panasonic don't. They tailor the TV to the market being sold in ala their new PX71 series with built-in Freesat tuner for UK market.
    Yes, this is true. It's the sole reason I bought Irish model as opposed to the UK model. From research at the time, Toshiba seem to do this also. Sony and many others seem to just have same spec across Europe (options open/hide depending on the country you say you're in during the initial setup phase).

lets take samsung for interest do they do an all in one or does their "british" models come without a vhf tuner

Advertisement