Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wirless Modem 2247NWG Question.

Options
  • 11-05-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

I am a still confused regarding setting up secure wireless connection for use with HP Pavilion Laptop.
    The story is I have a netophia 2247NWG wirless modem, one of the Eircom branded ones. I have it hardwired ethernet cable to the desktop and that works fine. The wireless is enabled and when I leave it unsecured the laptop finds it no problem. By going into www.192.168.1.254 I have set the security to WPA-PSK and the Laptop finds it ok but gives a message saying it is not configured for this.
    By setting WPA.801x it looks for passphrase which I cannot find.

Basically with the above setup all I want is a secure wireless connection.
    Can anyone tell me how to do this and allow me to log on to the connection with the laptop.

Thanks for any assistance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

speedbird1 wrote: »
    I am a still confused regarding setting up secure wireless connection for use with HP Pavilion Laptop.
    The story is I have a netophia 2247NWG wirless modem, one of the Eircom branded ones. I have it hardwired ethernet cable to the desktop and that works fine. The wireless is enabled and when I leave it unsecured the laptop finds it no problem. By going into www.192.168.1.254 I have set the security to WPA-PSK and the Laptop finds it ok but gives a message saying it is not configured for this.
    By setting WPA.801x it looks for passphrase which I cannot find.

Basically with the above setup all I want is a secure wireless connection.
    Can anyone tell me how to do this and allow me to log on to the connection with the laptop.

Thanks for any assistance

How old is the laptop? If it is an older model it may not handle wpa. Do you have the latest driver for the wireless card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Laptop is brand new only difference may be it is USA model. HP Pavillion DV6871 us Entertainment Notebook PC.
    Operating System Visa Home Premium.

What do thet mean by security key, is this the SSID or does the serial number have anything to do with it.
    I have all the docs from the original box but no where can I see a security key.
    All I want is basically to stop anyone else piggy backing on the wireless connection.
    Nay instruction greatfully received
    Thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Forget the security key forget the ssid etc etc for the moment.

When you select wpa in the netopia wireless options it will ask you to set a password - this if of your own choice - you will then be required to enter this password on your laptop when you try to access the wireless network.

Also if it is an american laptop it might be wise to select a lower number channel for your wireless network some American wireless cards apparently dont see the higher numbered channels.

Don't forget to save your new settings before you exit the netopia.

The ssid is simply the name of the wireless network.

Advertisement