Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless N Home Network Set up.

Options
  • 10-05-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Here's my situation. I want to upgrade a home wireless network due to some changes in set up. This is how it's set up now:

There are 2 desktops, and 3 Laptops in the house connected via an old Wireless G Belkin Router . Plus 1 Desktop hooked up to the router (via cable) that's running as a storage server + bitorrent downloader. The router itself is connected to a Smart Thompson modem, on a 7Mbit line.

The server PC is what has pushed me to upgrade the network. I want to be able to transfer large files, and do regular system back ups of all the PC's/Laptops. The problem being, doing this on a G network takes forever (50GB took almost 20hrs, and cut out halfway through), and kills the network for internet traffic.

What do I want? A wireless N modem/router combo, with uPnP, and QoS. Plus decently priced internal PCI/miniPCI wireless adapters for the PC's and Laptops.

So, if you're still with me, any recommendations?

As far as Modem/Router's go, I've found these two.

Netgear
    D-Link

I assume, seeing as these are both Draft-N routers that although it would be advantageous to do so, I don't need to use the same brand products throughout. I can't seem to find miniPCI adapters in either brand.

Any other comments are welcome, is it even worth the expense to upgrade everything? Should I wait around until the N standard is ratified? Should I just run cable (yuck!)?

Thanks Guys!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given the money involved it would be worth reading up some reviews on the net.
    In general I think a lot of people have been disappointed with N stuff so far not living up to its promise - and the problem I always warn people about is the difficulty of predicting the performance of any wireless equipment in any particular situation.

Advertisement