Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acquiring a Car

Options
  • 10-05-2008 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I will be moving to Sydney in a few months on a business sponsored visa for 18 months. What are my options for buying a car? I will have about $8,000 cash, which I'll put in a bank when I get there.

Can I find a dealership that will lease me for 18 months?

Should I buy a newer car from a dealership and try to sell it before I leave?

Can I buy a car off gumtree somehow? (Private Seller)

Any advice would help. I am from America and I am used to fast cars, something I don't see too much of down under. My favorite choice would be to lease a BMW for 18 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I will be moving to Sydney in a few months on a business sponsored visa for 18 months. What are my options for buying a car? I will have about $8,000 cash, which I'll put in a bank when I get there.

Can I find a dealership that will lease me for 18 months?

Should I buy a newer car from a dealership and try to sell it before I leave?

Can I buy a car off gumtree somehow? (Private Seller)

Any advice would help. I am from America and I am used to fast cars, something I don't see too much of down under. My favorite choice would be to lease a BMW for 18 months.

I worked in BMW Sydney when i was in Sydney. Give them a call and see what they think about leasing to you. Its the main BMW dealership in Sydney.

For $8k you are not going to be buying a BMW so if the leasing doesn't work out then I would look to the second hand market of Japenese or Australian (Ford & Holden) cars. I have quite a few contacts in Sydney in the motor trade and might be able to point you in the right direction if you would like. I am still in touch with employees of BMW out there, but not in the leasing department.

Other option is to get your compnay to lease the car for you. Would be easier to secure a lease than you going looking for it privately.

Advertisement