Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an ASUS in SE Asia

Options
  • 10-05-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a laptop in SE Asia and have come across a ASUS model which seems decent value. It doesn't seem to have an equivalent model in Ireland/UK.

The specs are:

Processor & Cache Memory Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 2.2 Ghz, 800MHz FSB, 4/2MB L2 Cache
    Operation System DOS
    Chipset Mobile Intel PM965 Express Chipset + ICH8M
    Main Memory DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM, 2GB
    Display 14" WXGA Color Shine(glare-type) LCD
    Video Graphics & Memory NVIDIA Geforce 8400M G, External 128MB GDDR2 VRAM
    Hard Drive SATA 160GB (5400rpm)
    Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
    Card Reader SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO
    Built-in Camera 0.35 Mega-Pixel web-cam
    Fax/Modem/LAN/WLAN Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection Intel High Definition Audio MDC Fax/Modem
    10/100 Base T
    Built-in Bluetooth?V2.0+EDR (optional feature)

And then there's the 2 year international warranty.

So my questions are,

1) It's priced at e625 which means I can get it for e580 when I claim tax back at the airport. Is this decent value?

2) With the international warranty, how easy is it to get any problem fixed should anything happen when I'm back in Ireland.

3) It seems to come with a copy of WinXP (the OS is down as DOS above). Will this be a major problem. I heard somewhere that when connected to the internet ASUS can monitor any illegal software on my laptop.

Any help in answering the questions would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah that seems to be a very good deal to me. As far as ASUS monitoring your software, utter rubbish, why would they?
    I'm not too sure how the international warranty would work, presumably just contact their centre in Ireland and go through them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget you can get stung for Tax on arrival.
    UK keyboard ?

If it's not a legit version of windows then don't even bother asking about drivers on the windows forum.

And yes microsoft won't allow updates to dodgy copies of windows , so lots of security patches wont be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'm not happy with the XP copy at all but I'm trying my best to avoid Vista at the moment.

It'll be a while before I'm arriving back in Ireland with the laptop so I shouldn't get done with Tax on Arrival.

Keyboard is Uk/Thai.

As long as Asus have a decent service site in Ireland I think I'll go ahead and buy it.

Advertisement