Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network trouble

Options
  • 10-05-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I've connected a new router to the computer in the house and the internet is working fine on it. Problem is when I try to connect to the network with my laptop.

It locates the network but when I try to connect it doesn't connect, and status says "Not connected". But the strange think is I can still go online on the laptop despite apparently not being connected to the network. Internet seems to be running bit slower though.

What's going on?

Its a Belkin54 router and there's no other way the laptop can connect to the internet, ie its def connected through the network even though its status is "Not connected".

Don't really have much of a notion about this stuff, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Insufficient data :eek:

Don't know what your OS is, don't know how you're connecting (or trying to connect) the laptop or for that matter how your PC is connected.

*Guessing now*:)

You're connecting the laptop wirelessly to the router and the 'not connected' message is coming from the wired connection. Which of course would be true in that scenario.

Or vice versa :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

OS is Windows XP. PC is connected directly via the ethernet cable to the router and I'm trying to connect the laptop wirelessly.
    rrpc wrote: »
    Insufficient data :eek:
    You're connecting the laptop wirelessly to the router and the 'not connected' message is coming from the wired connection. Which of course would be true in that scenario.

Or vice versa :)

Not sure what you mean. I connected this same way ASAIK with the old router (which was the same model but died last week) and it always said connected. I notice when I type 192.168.2.1 into the browser on the PC and click on "DHCP Client List" that only the PC is listed and the laptop is not. It should also be listed here shouldn't it? If so how do I get it to appear here?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Maybe your laptop is set to get an ip address statically and not via dhcp, hence not being listed in the client list. What is the output of running "ipconfig /all" on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Can't copy and paste from cmd prompt, but it does say Yes beside "DHCP enabled".

Says No beside "IP Routing enabled", not sure if thats relevant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Says No beside "IP Routing enabled", not sure if thats relevant or not.
    No that's normal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement