Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

references

Options
  • 09-05-2008 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Im going for a few interviews next week for various banks etc. i've been with my current employer 4 years , the job before that i was in 4.5 years and left on very bad terms. I therefore only have one hope of a reference and thats from my current employer. im wondering therefore if employers will accept a character reference from a professional or a second reference from someone in my current company.?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Using your current employer as a reference is a bad idea. What will happen if you don't get the job?

Regarding the second reference, is there anyone in the old company you could use as a referee? When you say you left on very bad terms, did you still do a good job there?

It's a tricky situation. Certainly try the reference from a professional. Whether they'll accept it or not, who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

sammy1984 wrote: »
    Im going for a few interviews next week for various banks etc. i've been with my current employer 4 years , the job before that i was in 4.5 years and left on very bad terms. I therefore only have one hope of a reference and thats from my current employer. im wondering therefore if employers will accept a character reference from a professional or a second reference from someone in my current company.?????

OK - firstly you have 4 years in your current company, which I think should be sufficient. Think about it this way; someone in a company for 10 years could only give a meaningful reference from their current company.

Secondly - if you can find someone in your company who is willing to give a reference, and is in a position that would lend credibility / authority to the reference (e.g. a manager you have reported to / worked for regularly), then that sounds good to me. This is exactly what I did leaving my last place, and it was fine.

Just concentrate on the interviews themselves and worry about the logistics of the references if you get a job offer (I wouldn't give reference details until I got a firm offer).

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Don't let a potential lack of references undermine you self confidence for the new position, as you've been with your current employe 4 years: if there was a problem with you, they may not have kept you that long, would they? Or given you increased responsabilities/work/etc.?

+1 @ dublindude and eoin_s
    _ ideally, try and get someone in particular + who you can trust at earlier employer
    _otherwise, use current employer if you must supply a ref, and gloss over earlier employer

My €0,02 on top: let the interviewers query the previous job (they may well do, as you're not suppl ref from it). If they do, be honest. High-risk, but high-reward (in my exp.) and conductive of mutual respect from the onset. If they don't ask, so be it.

Advertisement