Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modern trad music

Options
  • 09-05-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A while ago I was at a concert in Vicar Street and the usual background music playing before the concert started. It was Irish trad, but not the cheesy diddly aye ceili stuff. One track was Cal/Hero played by Phil Coulter but I don't know what the rest was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxM3aQPBukQ The best way to describe it is, uilleann pipes, synth pads, smooth bass and soft percussion/drums.

I was just wondering if anyone has an idea who the artist(s) could have been

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

A while ago I was at a concert in Vicar Street and the usual background music playing before the concert started. It was Irish trad, but not the cheesy diddly aye ceili stuff. One track was Cal/Hero played by Phil Coulter but I don't know what the rest was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxM3aQPBukQ The best way to describe it is, uilleann pipes, synth pads, smooth bass and soft percussion/drums.

I was just wondering if anyone has an idea who the artist(s) could have been

TIA

You mean the music that is native to this Island and has no relevence to cheese unlike the muck you linked to?

That may sound harsh but I'm a player of the 'cheesy diddly aye ceili stuff as you so nicely put it and I'm getting defensive because do you know what you're calling cheesy? Give me an example....There's too much use of bad 'irish trad' these days on ad's and the like, I'm just curious to know what you're referring to as 'cheesy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

calm down, calm down!

I have nothing against the cheesy diddly aye ceili stuff, as I put it...once the band don't sound like a pack of mangled cats. And yes, I am a musician so I know what I'm talkin' about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3cETXDs60&feature=user more to your liking???

Any useful replies?

I apologise, I totally over reacted but no, ceili bands don't do it for me either they're grand but wouldn't be a huge fan...I've played in them lol....More like this http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=woMkL7JCxQA

Ok, enough thread hijacking I'm off....sorry!

apology accepted.

don't worry about it. we all fly off the handle at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Sorry are you saying you thing the allow ceili band are cheesy but that Phil Coulter ****e is good? i have to disagree in the strongest possible terms, it was middle of the road, pedestrian tosh. Aoife was right to have a go at you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Lets not insult people folks. Boards.ie rule "Attack the post not the poster"... :)

Everyone has different musical tastes, if you can respect that you can have a civil discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

oooh, i just stumbled into this conversation, im glad i wasnt here earlier, i probably would have gotten meself banned. anyway OP, what is diddley aye music? is it breton?
    trad music for me kind of starts and ends with this lad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n-p2-A6LME

(not a great clip, but you get my drift)

Now that's what I call a musician :)

paddy is the man! if ye get the chance, ye should try and get to the johnny doran weekend (its too late this year) it used to be on in glandalogh, its now been moved to spanish point.
    all johnny dorans living relatives do be at it (rooneys) and ye could bump into keenan,spillane,oflynn, or any of them. ye could even bump into me playing one of my 3 tunes on the pipes lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Now don't get me wrong, I love many different styles of trad music and I really enjoy playing it! I'm just throwing this idea out there. is it possible that some trad music might seem cheesy to people because its exploited for commercial use? For example, if you walk into one of those horrible irish gift shops in dublin (o'carolls i think the name is), they barrage you with leprechauns and guinness and leinster jerseys and whatnot, but the traditional music they play over it just makes it seem even worse! Not because I dislike the music, it just saddens me to hear it being played over speakers over and over again day in and day out for the benefit of tourists, when they should really be going to proper live trad sessions for a genuine experience.

Btw, Phil Coulter is the devil, and the personification of the exploitation of irish music, just look at how he sold out Planxty. If you're looking for modern, try something really cool like the afro-celt sound system, just don't give that man the satisfaction of knowing that there are people out there who actually like him and listen to him.

Also, is that Siobhan Peoples the daughter of the great Tommy Peoples? She's got Donegal blood alright! :) Also, is Tommy Peoples back living in St. Johnson now?

• Advertisement

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Also, is that Siobhan Peoples the daughter of the great Tommy Peoples? She's got Donegal blood alright! :) Also, is Tommy Peoples back living in St. Johnson now?

yep, siobhan is tommys daughter.
    not too sure where tommy is living, but ye can find siobhan most weekends playing in Ennis.

I'm sorry, actually, I regret I started this thread...I don't have to apologise for having my opinion.

I like flanums Paddy Keenan link

Did ye all have to turn your flame throwers upto 11?

You shouldn't be sorry that you started the thread, it wasn't your opinion I was having a go at it was the wording.... I came across as a complete bitch and reacted very hastily which I apologised for.

This is the problem with Irish Traditional Music, there are SO many opinions that often remarks can be taken up wrong without fully listening or understanding where they are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Why apologise, he came across as a nob end?

And now I am....Unless you have anything useful to contribute, don't bother.

MODS!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Why apologise, he came across as a nob end?
    If you have nothing of use to say in this thread, please say nothing at all.

Can we get on with the topic at hand and stop giving out plz. Otherwise thread will be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

humaxf1 wrote: »
    One track was Cal/Hero played by Phil Coulter but I don't know what the rest was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxM3aQPBukQ

Oh. My. God. That makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Thread lock mods???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

try either track 37 or track 44 here
    It's played around quite a bit and used on the odd ad as well.

Lads, thread locked due to it being off topic and users disregarding other peoples musical taste! C'mon, attack the post not the poster is not that hard a rule to follow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement