Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Alerts

Options
  • 09-05-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am thinking of getting the new Garmin 255 model when released in a week or two. However, there's only about €20 in the difference between the 255W and the 255WT (which has traffic alerts).

I'll probably go for the WT model as we're bringing the car to France in July and it should be useful there. (Or is it something I need to subscribe to?)

Is there any likelihood that the traffic functions will ever be used in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

According to the Garmin website any SatNav that has a TMC receiver supplied with it has free lifetime subscriptions to TrafficMaster in the UK and ViaMichelin in France so you should be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 wallyworld

Hi all:

Recently came back from a trip to the US and I took my Nuvi 670 with me. The traffic and construction updates that you can receive in the US are FABULOUS and in my view add tremendously to the usefulness of a GPS.

One example from our trip: we were getting ready to enter the interstate/freeway in the US, and the GPS kept showing a red/white triangle indicating that there was a two minute traffic delay (and asking if I wanted an alternate route) immediately prior to entering the interstate. Amazing stuff!

If you live in Dublin (or any of the other traffic congested areas of Ireland), the lack of real-time traffic/construction updates is a major shortcoming of GPSs. The problem about using a GPS generally is that the GPS tends to take you on the more frequently travelled roads, which, during rush hours, can be a disaster by adding considerably to your commute times.

In Dublin, taking the wrong road can make all the difference. It truly would be nice to have advanced warnings of problems, like you can apparently get in several countries like the US, France, UK etc. It would be grand if we finally got around to getting this system here...

Back to the OP's last question: does anyone know when/if we will get this here? Also, who/what is actually responsible for making the decision to get this installed (loaded question, I know!!!)

WW

Advertisement