Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Contacts Online

Options
  • 09-05-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Was wondering could everyone recommend where they buy their contacts online and what ones. I'm only wearing them for the last couple of months and haven't ordered any more yet. I'm using the soft dailys from Specsavers but there are so many different sites and brands I really don't know where to start. Maybe we can sticky this for future reference.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

www.justlenses.com seem to be very reliable and their prices are very good.
    Though remember buying from the US you will need to pay import duty but even after it,you are still going to save a fortune.
    I ordered a few boxes from them last week as they had been recommended to me by friends that purchase from them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Right I'm going to order contact lenses online today. But I have a couple of questions first that I'm sure someone can answer. On the boxes of the lenses I got originally from Specsavers there are four sets of numbers, PWR, BC, CT and DA. Theses lenses here http://www.justlenses.com/lenses/lens-id144.asp have the same BC and DA as the ones I got in Specsavers but there's no mention of the CT value and I dunno if that's important. Is it important to have exactly the same values for BC and DA or just similar? How do you pick one brand over another without any experience of wearing them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Specsavers dailies tend to be Focus (Ciba Vision) Dailies. I would recommend changing brands without getting fitted for them by a professional first. Even if the lenses have the exact same measurements the materials can make a HUGE difference in the fit.
    The BC and DA are the basics of what will determine the fit. The CT is just the centre thickness and as long as you stick to the same brand you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BingBangBong

Try www.aclens.com. I get my contacts from that site for almost half the price of Specsavers. I use the Focus (Ciba Vision) Dailys and I think they are really good. I have an astigmatism in my eyes so I have to wear toric lenses and Specsaves charge a fortune for the toric soft daily disposables. I would recomend this site as they deliver in about 10days from the States and most of the time you dont get charged at customs.......don't know how that happens. ;););)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Keller

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

i ordered from justlenses.com. got 90 pairs cost me €63 for the lenses and an additional 18 when customs got their paws on them.

have also used getlenses.com an irish site but you need a valid prescription form your optician

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

I use getlenses.com and can recommend, using them for 7 years. Great service over the phone also if you have an problems (they are based in Blackrock I think) Always swift delivery etc, free delivery even on solution.. True you need a prescription (and one updated every 2 years or so), I just a check up at my local optician and fax off the prescription. (I feel forcing me to get a check is a good thing - just in case any problem ever arose).

I have no affiliation to getlenses.com btw just a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I use yourlenses.ie also and get Focus Dailies. Never had any problems, and they're the cheapest I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I use yourlenses.ie also and get Focus Dailies. Never had any problems, and they're the cheapest I've found.

Yeah www.yourlenses.ie - 90 pairs of daily's for 75 incl postage ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I'm going to buy my next six months supply from www.yourlenses.ie - 6 months supply of monthly Air Optix including delivery cost €39.98 versus €80 form Specsavers ! The cheapest solutions I've come across are form Lensbase - 6 months supply for €23.95 including delivery versus €50 from Specsavers ! Has anyone actually bought from Lensbase and what was your experience of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I get mine from justlenses.com.

Your better going to an optician getting the fitting then buying the exact same ones as he gives you online and not varying away from this with out another eye/contact lense test.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

yourlenses.ie.., been using them for the last 4 years or so... no probs so far.. and pretty cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I order from GetLenses.ie. Never had any problems. I order ColourBlend Monthlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I'm looking at getting the latest daily lenses Acuvue Trueye from the contactlensshop.com. From the UK for a 3 month supply it will be approx. €136 incl shipping. They are €62/month here direct debit. Saving of about €50. Do I have to pay customs on this and if so roughly how much should I expect to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

I use:

www.discountcontactlenses.com

I use focus dailies and they're the cheapest i've seen and delivery is usually within 3-4 days (even though it says 21). I pay about e105 including delivery for 180 pairs (it's e90 for 90 pairs in Specsavers). They'll send you e-mails with further discounts - usually an extra 5 or 10% off.

Eimear

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Just got my contacts today from thecontactlensshop.com. Got 90 new Acuvue True EyeLens for £108.94 about €135 incl P&P. Paid no customs. Cheapest here I could see was about €62 per month signed up to a direct debit. Quick delivery only ordered 1 week ago. Quick and good customer service. Would use again although it's ultimately about price and if in 3 months I see somewhere cheaper I will order there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Glowing wrote: »
    Yeah www.yourlenses.ie - 90 pairs of daily's for 75 incl postage ....

Thanks to this I ordered my lenses late on Sunday night from this crowd. €74 inc postage and they arrived today (wednesday). Very quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Paulie907

I used to buy from get lenses but after doing some reading up i found this article las month that said :

new studies have concluded that the risk of eye disease associated with internet/mail order purchase of contact lenses is nearly five times higher than when lenses were brought from an optician..

so now i dont, i think its worth not to be cheap when your eyes are involved

http://www.opticianonline.net/Articles/2008/07/18/21550/Online+contact+lens+sales+linked+to+risk+of+eye+infections.html?key=INTERNET%20AND%20LENSES

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Paulie907 wrote: »
    I used to buy from get lenses but after doing some reading up i found this article las month that said :

new studies have concluded that the risk of eye disease associated with internet/mail order purchase of contact lenses is nearly five times higher than when lenses were brought from an optician..

so now i dont, i think its worth not to be cheap when your eyes are involved

Did you read the whole article? The only thing I see that it says is that people who buy lenses online are less likely to follow the rules and do things properly. That has nothing to do with buying online and everything to do with people being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Paulie907 wrote: »

That's just rediculous. The lenses are identical! :rolleyes:

If you go the opticians regularly, and follow the lens care instructions, there is NO difference! You're probably less likely to go to the Optician as often however if you don't have to .....

If you want to be ripped off by the opticians for an identical product, then that's up to you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement