Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deconstructing Theresa?

Options
  • 09-05-2008 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

I PMed Ste05 about this and since I missed my 1k post thingy he said it was ok if I put one up now.

Im gonna be giving online a proper shot after my exams and for the summer so would like to hear what the story is with my game, warts and all.

Here is the original rule made by Ste if ye wanna check it out.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55667644&postcount=3

Im interested to know what the people I play with fairly regularly think, Tommy should have a fairly detailed post in here. Any of the Jackpot Degens etc. Any opinion as long as it will help is very much appreciated.

Anyway, thanks in Advance.

Steven

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Just fixed that link for ya.

As with all these Deconstructing threads, usual rules apply, thick skin on, etc. etc.

Anyone else that has missed a milestone post (1k minimum), can PM me for permission to start a deconstructing thread, but there's only 1 allowed at a time, so don't all PM me at once please, wait til this one has dropped off the front page.

Ste05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I love playing on your table in cash because you'll tilt half the table which can only be considered +EV really.

Seriously though, haven't played with you as much lately as before as I'm rarely in the Jackpot these days so I can't really comment much on your game as it's probably alot different to how I'd remember it but your main problem is, and you know this yourself, simply disciple. Bankroll management.

I went busto online myself by simply not paying enough attention to it and getting frustrated, and it can easily happen, this time round I'm being a total nit as you know. Think of all the money you've lost as a result of time spent out of the game that was caused by BR management, or not being rolled for games you should by ability be playing. But discipline is half if not more of the battle which is something I've realised, sort that out and you'll be beating the game online higher then you've managed to play so far.

That and tilt, but tilt is a far more difficult issue to sort out. Though I think the more comfortabley rolled you are for a level, the less you'll tilt anyway. But just stick to BR rules, write them down even. Have how many buy ins you need to play any level, exactly what time you take shots at and exactly what point you drop back down at. Write this down for a few levels. And STICK to it, no matter what, even if it means dropping down after 500 hands of your new roll. Do that and with your ability you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭AKQJ10

You have a very big tendency to get involved with the players you think are good at the table rather than just playing the fish, or just playing a normal amount with the better players. I remember countless times last summer where you did your tank to decent players/boardsies on ridiculous bluffs (i know coming from me:D)trying to outplay them just for the sake of it imo. Your a good player but you dont need to try to prove this everytime you play with other good players.

You always put yourself down aswell, don't. Fair enough if you think ur playing bad look at why your playing bad, but dont go off thinkin ah im crap and just tilt away. Ive seen you tilt bad aswell a few times.

Havent played with you too much online but you've told me a few times that you play alot of tables sometimes when your grinding. You've also said you can tilt online alot, if you combine these two tilting whilst playing 9 tables is going to be very bad news. So id suggest just playing fewer tables and not letting the varence get to you as much.

As for my suggestions for playing live, just have fun with it, dont play drunk. PLay the easy games, go in early fri/sat night etc and just be patient. Dont go banannas when suddenly your up to 1k and everyone arrives from emporium and you end up payin 1k deep with the likes of Seamus, Dermot and Mick.

GL with the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

I havent played with you live much, more so online, and then it wasnt that many hands.
    You seem to be a very compent player and from your posts you show you have a clear though process.

However like said before, you have tilt issues which seem to hinder your win rate.
    I also think that if you played less tables and thought more about the hands you played you would would benifit as you seem to auto pilot ( Can be said for me and lots more)

I'd like to see you become a regular online player and i think you could be very sucessful with it you iron out a few creases. (Not that i really know how sucessful you have been)

Also, i noticed when playing live you do seem to tilt players and jibe the player you know better which is fun and probably get you paid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭R__J

I think you play good....most of the time.When playing live cash with you, I find that you are very fond of making a big move or a hero/marginal call. I think this is -EV(especially on the Dublin cash tables) as you get looked up the majority of the time + there's a lot better spots to get your tank in. Apart from that I think your all round understanding of the game is sound. Also you're always keen for other players views on hands you played etc. which I think will stand you in good stead in the future. Also try not to play under rolled and I think you'll have a lot more success. GL Ross.
    One more thing, Find a label other than Franklin & Marshall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Are you who I think you are? photo ID perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Are you who I think you are? photo ID perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Im not sure who you are girl? Are you the fellow with the red beard who plays in the jackpot ......shave off that thing it ruins your femininity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I am the guy in the white top here

http://theresalwaysone.blogspot.com

I dont know how to get an image uploaded and Im not arsed finding out.

Ross, Jammer, Mark and Paudie, cheers lads. good analysis, I'll come back to it in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Have only played with you once in a mad 3/4 handed game in Lukes, thought you played really well, good TAG but then from the bit I watched of the micro stakes game you looked as if you were completely on tilt and not taking it seriously - I didnt play the game because I would have played the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Basically what the other lads said.

You try to outplay people way too much. You get into too many pots with the better players at the table. Theres no harm in letting them have it every now and again. You definitely have a taste of FPS that you need to work on. You also ten to think other players take fancy lines more often than they do. Straightforward lines take all the money live.

You really need to sort out your BR management too. If you had constantly worked on that you'd easily be playing the bigger live games atm. Get a seperate roll for poker, and don't take massive shots when the flipside is being broke. This is your biggest leak by far imo.

Tilt needs to be worked on online for sure. You can beat those games easy enough, so don't blow the roll on tilt. Its your way of making money. If you have no money you cant make money. You also may not think you're tilting but do.

These by far outweigh any playing leaks you have. Fix them and you'd most definitely be a good winning reg live and SSNL. I'm not in a position to comment on MSNL online cos I've never gone there, but I don't see it being a problem with a bit of work.

With regards playing, you have very few leaks. You read the game and players excellently imo, and you have the logic to apply that to take nonstandard but very good situational plays. This is one of your strongest points when you don't overdo it. You've made some of the biggest laydowns, calls and raises I've seen.

You're a nightmare to have at my table really, especially with position.

I don't think you need to work on your game too much atm. Get the rest in order. You definitely have the game once you don't let other stuff on your mind. If you apply yourself and take a calmer approach to the game you will make whatever you want out of it.

Basically just sort out the non-playing parts of your game. They are definitely where you fall down.

That being said, you are a very good player, and have the potential, ability and natural talent to go far with a bit of composure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

sometimes outplaying people is folding preflop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

I obviously need time to work on this. Ill get back to you tomorrow m8

K I think, I'll come back to this. Seems like everyone agree's that BRM is my biggest problem and I totally agree. So I will have to sort that out.

I didnt think tilt was a big factor live but Marc seems dead set Im a tilt monster so will try and keep that in check. I have sorted the whole FPS against better players as well, I dont seem to be doing it as much if at all anymore.

Cheers Ross will think about the hero calls/folds. Again I think it is a big factor of the FPS that Marc was talking about, so it should be sorted. I have two franlkin and marshall hoodies, both are lucky. Shut up.

Jammer and Paudie are right. Discipline and Tilt. Will keep an eye on it.

ty Conor. Discipline again.

Joe is an idiot.

And Conbro, awaiting your reply.

If Mickste is out there? Or Dermot, I know he has an account. Ive played with Primewise a little bit too so if he remembers? Anyone who Ive played with really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I've played with you quite a bit and discussed strat numberous times...

playing live with you I think your a very good player from what I've seen.... very tight and agro in the right places..

I love discussing strat with you... while I might not agree with you always .. you always have a reason for your thinking..... you are a thinker (and prob a tinker as well) which is always good and have a logical thought process which should help your game greatly...

Online I know you've made a few good efforts at it and slways seem to start well and then do something mad.... as mentioned already some diclipine and your away....

best of luck!

Mac

I have played hundreds of hours with you man and I have watched you get better and better. Your hand reading is truly first class.

I don't think there is much I can add on top of Tommy's post in particular. Much as I enjoy playing with you I have to admit you are a nightmare to have at a table.

One criticism I'd have about your play and it is only minor would be that you tend to try and be too impressive with your plays. Against players you don't respect you play excellently but against players you think are better than you I think you change your game a little. You don't want to seem out of your depth and, in truth, you really aren't. Just as everyone else has said you possess an excellent understanding of the game and your thought processes within hands are quick, clear and pretty much always bang on.

You tilt yourself live. You get upset after you think you've made a bad play and it gnaws at you. (Night of the cash league for example) This is such a simple leak to fix and I'm certain that it will instantly increase your profits.

Your bankroll management is awful. No real need to expand on that, you know it yourself. I haven't played enough with you online to be able to talk about that but from what you've told me I think you are as aware of your major leak (tilt) as anyone.

Overall I think you are just a step or two away from being a very good winning reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Havn't played enough with you but play more online as roadsweeper said. I'm of the firm belief that playing alot more live does nothing but slow your development as a player. You play solid from what I've seen and a bit of craic at the table also.

And maybe get a haircut

Joe is an idiot.
    I was serious, also my W$SF is something you dream of.

I was serious, also my W$SF is something you dream of.

Proof of how much of an idiot you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

I am the guy in the white top here

http://theresalwaysone.blogspot.com

Can't remember ever playing with you, but judging from this photograph, your game selection is excellent.

As long as you drink less than 12 cans of Dutch per session, you're always going to be a favourite in a game where your opponents employ entire bottles of vodka as mere chasers for their Bavaria.

Keep up the good work. :D

• Advertisement

kpnuts wrote: »
    Can't remember ever playing with you, but judging from this photograph, your game selection is excellent.

As long as you drink less than 12 cans of Dutch per session, you're always going to be a favourite in a game where your opponents employ entire bottles of vodka as mere chasers for their Bavaria.

Keep up the good work. :D

lol.

Im a loser in these games. I find drinking numbs the pain of the incessant suckouts.

Im a loser .
    first step imo, well done.

first step imo, well done.

You contribute less to this forum than anyone else, including me, and that says a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

How come you call yourself Theresa now? I thought you were offended when someone pointed out the issue with your name :)

Offended? No. I thought it was funny, sure jesus if get offended over what a bunch of semi retarded internet dorks call me, how will I survive in the real world?

heh heh

Hi Stephen,
    Always a pleasure to sit at your table, with your company and your donations enjoyed in equal measure;). Seriously though you're one of the more impressive young players to come onto the scene in the last couple of years imo. Youre application to the game is first class, always showing a willingness to learn more about the game and understand new concepts. As long as you stay working hard on and developing you're game, you will be become an increasingly more profitable player. Youre logical approach to the game is youre greatest natural asset as a player and helps you work out many tricky situations . If I was to have any criticisms of you as a player it would be that you can can be overanalytical about playing certain situations and perhaps regarding the game in general. Personally Id suggest being a bit more selective about the advice you take on board rather than trying to apply too much expert advice from a wide range of theorists and posters. Apart from this you only have a couple of minor issues like playing when under the influence on occassion and a slight tendency to tilt. Im sure these impediments to you're game will dissappear with time and experience. On a final note can I please request that you stop berating fish like Keith Rooney about their standard of their play. He may eventually stop coming into the cardclubs of Dublin making his regular donations[although I doubt it because hes always so good humoured even when hes losing] or worse still, start to apply his IQ of 950 to the game and then were all in trouble. Thats all I have to say at the moment m8, best of luck with your poker career and life in general.
    Cheers,
    Conor

Conbro wrote: »
    On a final note can I please request that you stop berating fish like Keith Rooney about their standard of their play. He may eventually stop coming into the cardclubs of Dublin making his regular donations

I will never, EVER, stop making my donations. Cheers for the good humoured comment though :D Nice guys finish last but are never really too beat up about it.;)

**** me Keith that was quick. Do you have an alert signal for when someone slags you off in a post? You must never get a moments peace:D

Conbro wrote: »
    **** me Keith that was quick. Do you have an alert signal for when someone slags you off in a post? You must never get a moments peace:D

I asked the mods to set it up for me. A little alert pops up like an MSN window. Nearly crashed my computer after I posted a HH a while back.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

Havent played with you much , just thought id say i think you games in bits.

ha, nah only messing you seemed to know whats goin on in most hands. But id agree with Conor's point of you seem to over analyze hands. Which i suppose is better than not analysing.

I remember you telling me about some theorem or law youd read that the first time you get three bet you always four bet. And you were ****ing on about floating and all these fancy plays. I was just thinking ffs learn how to do the basics well first. You dont need any of that **** to beat live cash or low stakes online.

But this could be all irrelevent cos ive never really played a proper cash game with you and im "spewy" anyway . LOLERS glgl

Advertisement