Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out in carlow...

Options
  • 08-05-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know what pubs/clubs have good bands or comedy at the weekends? I used to be able to look up the music factory on ticket master to see if there was anything good on but they never have listings anymore. There was talk of them setting up a regular comedy club there about a year ago. I could do with a laugh :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

You might find a comedy act in the dolmen hotel from time to time. The Music Factory has yet again changed its name but I can't remember what its called now. Buzz's usually have bands at the weekends and the tower has live music on saturday nights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Think Buzz's is closed! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I'mamuppet

I see they've gutted lennons too. Whats the story there? Is the Med back open now? Its hard work keeping up with all the name changes and closures :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

No idea about Lennon's. Med is open again and is supposedly very nice now. Not been in it though so...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Now that the Music Factory is gone you'll find very little in the way of decent bands or comedians round Carlow way. Maybe Aslan once every five years. Wow. That or cover bands in The Tower. If that floats your boat.

• Advertisement

Don1 wrote: »

WHAT?? Since when? I was in there a couple of weeks back listening to Brother Jake!! Or was that months back? ....hhhhmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

Don1 wrote: »

afaik the student part is open but only from the back entrance, through the lane near shaws, think the main bar might be open on sat nights.
    I'mamuppet wrote: »
    I see they've gutted lennons too. Whats the story there? Is the Med back open now? Its hard work keeping up with all the name changes and closures :confused:

yeh the med is, and ive been in it a few times, still a nice bar to drink in.
    cashback wrote: »
    Now that the Music Factory is gone you'll find very little in the way of decent bands or comedians round Carlow way. Maybe Aslan once every five years. Wow. That or cover bands in The Tower. If that floats your boat.

Tao is the music factory now, or that's what it's called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

They're doing Lennons up...they closed the kitchen for renovation, oh about a year ago, and now they're finishing off the pub. Don't know when it will be back open, I hope soon, i love their lunches!

The Med bar has been back open since the New Year. It's lovely inside, gets very very crowded on a Saturday night though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭NervyChick

Does anyone know what pubs/clubs have good bands or comedy at the weekends? I used to be able to look up the music factory on ticket master to see if there was anything good on but they never have listings anymore. There was talk of them setting up a regular comedy club there about a year ago. I could do with a laugh :(

Tao is back open. Its lovely! There on bebo www.bebo.com/clubt80
    The Blizzards are ment to be there in september and mtv base are doing a tour in august. Its cool i really like it.
    I dont know about the comedy club.. I think like battle of the bands go on there now for teenagers or whatever?!
    Shame about lennons alright. There was a lovely place called rua down beside tao, they had live bands and all but they are closed now :(
    Feck all places to go

sounds like somebody works for Tao..

from what ive heard it's the people who don't get into the foundry who go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

patrickc wrote: »
    sounds like somebody works for Tao..

from what ive heard it's the people who don't get into the foundry who go there.

So Tao = Edge = Music Factory . Same people, same bad reputation.

Stevecw wrote: »
    So Tao = Edge = Music Factory . Same people, same bad reputation.

thats what i meant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

^ Thought as much. That place has gone thru so many name changes etc, but will never work. Foundry is king & always will be. Tao, Edge, Music Factory etc...all it ever was is foundry rejects or few that want a few late points without crowds. Never worked no matter what the name, & even the free drinks for college, but only 2 bar staff on to cope with the masses.
    A place that would never & will never work

Stevecw wrote: »
    ^ Thought as much. That place has gone thru so many name changes etc, but will never work. Foundry is king & always will be. Tao, Edge, Music Factory etc...all it ever was is foundry rejects or few that want a few late points without crowds. Never worked no matter what the name, & even the free drinks for college, but only 2 bar staff on to cope with the masses.
    A place that would never & will never work

there was a time when a few good bands would venture into the music factory, but tickets always seemed over priced, think it was the venue put me and many off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nah..Venue is good.

It's the arsehole bouncers that put me off.

after looking at Tao's bebo photos I might actually venture in. Looks nice in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Its a shame people dont try out new venues such as Tao. There have been numerous attempts to shift people away from the McLoughlin monoply but it just seems people are uninterested in change.

its not everyone that's afraid of or uninterested in change. There could be one person in a group that refuses to go try out a different place and that could result in the whole group not going. Used to happen to me all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

If Tao changed their bouncers I'd go there over the foundry any time. Guaranteed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭NervyChick

ClioV6 wrote: »
    If Tao changed their bouncers I'd go there over the foundry any time. Guaranteed!

Ya it is a bit intimidating all the bouncers standing around the door at Tao. And no i dont work for Tao :pac:
    I really like it, just sayin.. I find a really nice crowd to be in it.
    Dont like the way people judge places and have never been in there :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement