Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog bites - Tetanus

Options
  • 08-05-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

is Tetanus from dog bites .... looked on wikipedia does not say anything about dog bites ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

our pup bit my ma, didn t mean to , was trying to grab a can off her and bit finger deeply ... she was bleeding ..

he has no dieases . had all injections .. and is not ever around other dogs ...

people seem to think you can get Tetanus from dog bites , why ?

not connected as far as i have read ... can u even get a diease from your own house pet that doesnt have any dieases it self ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You won't get tetanus from the dog biting you. But, any deep wound has the potential to allow the tetanus germ to enter the bloodstream. A tetanus jab as a precaution is never a bad idea. Practically the only way you are seriously going to be at risk from tetanus is if you get cut by rusty metal (mostly because if it's rusty that means it is or has been outside possibly in the ground), or if you work with horses as tetanus often lives in the ground where horses have been for years.

I believe that the booster has little effect if the germ gets into your bloodstream, but I look at it that if you get the booster if you get a really bad cut then you should be protected the next time you get a cut. I think if you get your full protection when you are a child you should only need it every ten years after that, some people say once you've had 3 boosters you're covered for life.

Even though tetanus is extremely rare in people now, it is important for everyone to make sure they don't risk not being protected as it survives for many many years living in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

IF YOU are bitten
    • If your own dog bit you, confine it immediately and call your veterinarian to check your dog's vaccination records.
    • If someone else's dog bit you, first seek medical treatment for the wound. Next, contact authorities and tell them everything you can about the dog: the owner's name, if you know it; the color and size of the dog; where you encountered the dog; and, if and where you've seen it before. These details may help animal-control officers locate the dog. In addition, consider asking your physician if post-exposure rabies treatment may be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Considering we are rabies free in this country I don't think that is particularly relevant.

However, a dog that suddenly bites someone if it is totally out of character should get a vet check in case they are actually ill. In this case you say it was just puppy exuberance so there is no need to worry. I would try and discourage play biting of the hands, it can be cute in an eight week old puppy, but not so cute and harder to stop if they are in the habit of it when they are eight months.

Advertisement