Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin wireless G+ usb adapter

Options
  • 08-05-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have just purchased a Belkin wireless G+ usb adapter and try as i might i just cannot get it to work. I have installed the software as per the instructions. I currently have Chorus as my broadband provider and it is working fine when plugged directly to my laptop but no way in hell can i get it to pick up any signal. I have brought the laptop into the room where the Chorus modem is and still nothing.

Would be grateful if anyone had any ideas on what i might be doing wrong. I'm sure it is probably something very simple but i am not that techy when it comes to these things. All i want to do is to be able to use it in the next room.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

katieboo wrote: »
    I have just purchased a Belkin wireless G+ usb adapter and try as i might i just cannot get it to work. I have installed the software as per the instructions. I currently have Chorus as my broadband provider and it is working fine when plugged directly to my laptop but no way in hell can i get it to pick up any signal. I have brought the laptop into the room where the Chorus modem is and still nothing.

Would be grateful if anyone had any ideas on what i might be doing wrong. I'm sure it is probably something very simple but i am not that techy when it comes to these things. All i want to do is to be able to use it in the next room.

The obvious but needed question, are you sure the modem has wireless capabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

Good question. The model is a Motorola SB5101 E. I checked the spec on tinternet there and it doesn't say anything. The thing is though that when we got the adapter first we did initially get a signal so I suppose it has to be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

katieboo wrote: »
    Good question. The model is a Motorola SB5101 E. I checked the spec on tinternet there and it doesn't say anything. The thing is though that when we got the adapter first we did initially get a signal so I suppose it has to be.

That modem doesn't have wifi support, it's a cable modem only. You'll need a wireless router then. The signal you picked up could have been any number of other networks locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

Thanks Spear. You would think the eejit down in Harvey Normans would have advised us of this - we did tell him it was Chorus broadband that we had.

Advertisement