Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claude Butler Levante 2007

Options
  • 08-05-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

I have had a spin on the Claude Butler Levante Sport Commute 2007 and am thinking of buying it. The deal is 615 and he is upgrading it to two kevlar tyres for me. Any thoughts on the bike as a short commuter and weekend 30 km jaunter?

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/Corporate/CB/Levante.shtml

Some of the reviews say the thing is fragile and likely to cost a lot of money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

615 seems awfully expensive for it. Is it second hand or new?

A quick google says the 2008 version can be got for ~500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Where abouts its 633 in evans + 32 delivery = 665?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=87644

You're using an out of date exchange rate there.

Your right just checked it again and it comes out 512 xe.com/ucc.

• Advertisement

Any recomendations then - is it a decent bike or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't know that I would be rushing to buy it. I got a very similar sort of Claude Butler for my GF, may even have been the exact same bike, and she has had a fair number of problems with it.

I'd look at something like a Specialized Sirrus or a Trek 7.X FX instead. The new Treks are good looking bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

kmick wrote: »
    I have had a spin on the Claude Butler Levante Sport Commute 2007 and am thinking of buying it. The deal is 615 and he is upgrading it to two kevlar tyres for me. Any thoughts on the bike as a short commuter and weekend 30 km jaunter?

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/Corporate/CB/Levante.shtml

Some of the reviews say the thing is fragile and likely to cost a lot of money.

The SRP in pounds is 429, based on todays rates they're wanting about £483 for the bike. Thats no kind of deal at all. They sell online for under £400 on a regular basis. Take your trade elsewhere.

Can't say I've experienced the bike myself. Almost bought one but ended up with my trek 7.5fx instead http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/road/fx/75fx/

In fairness you can expect to pay 20% more RRP in Ireland, probably more like 30% now the way sterling has gone- so unless you are going to buy online you can't really compare the UK prices.

You will however get a Trek 7.3 FX for a bit less (Irish RRP) or the 7.5 FX for a bit more which would unquestionably be a better bike. (I would go for the 7.3 over the CB, the 7.5 if you could stretch to it would be in a different league.)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

Penny Farthing on Camden street have it on special offer at the minute. not sure the exact price but think its around 550

• Advertisement

Yeah thats where I saw it - 600 is the price.
    neilled wrote: »
    The SRP in pounds is 429, based on todays rates they're wanting about £483 for the bike. Thats no kind of deal at all. They sell online for under £400 on a regular basis. Take your trade elsewhere.

Can't say I've experienced the bike myself. Almost bought one but ended up with my trek 7.5fx instead http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/road/fx/75fx/

I hate the colour of that bike. Its so grey - its a small thing but I have to like the appearance if Im gonna pay that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

Without meaning to seem like some levante fanatic but Hollingsworth in templeogue has it for €499.was in yesterday getting me tyres pumped and saw it while waiting.seems like a good deal

You beauty - nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

kmick wrote: »
    Yeah thats where I saw it - 600 is the price.

I hate the colour of that bike. Its so grey - its a small thing but I have to like the appearance if Im gonna pay that sort of money.

The Levante's look flash alright, well previous years did, though i'm not that keen on this years models colour scheme. Personally I prefer a single tone of grey or black, although the 7.5 also comes in red.

€500 seems as good as you'll get on it buying from an Irish shop

The Trek 7.5 is a hell of a better bike, you would be mad to make the decision based on the colour (the price difference I could understand.)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Not a fan of Claud Butler at all. I had one years ago and hand heaps of problems.
    Better off with a mid-range, Giant, Specalized or Trek.

Yeah Im shallow - I already have a grey bike and I dont love the colour. I went for the black CB and Im happy with it so far. He said they bought ten and sold them all fast. Its very fast compared to my mountain bike on slicks. But damn cycling without front shocks is tough on Irish roads.

Advertisement