Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disintegrating Range Rover Kahn....

Options
  • 08-05-2008 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Couldn’t help but laugh this morning. A Range Rover Kahn in front of me had its double exhaust dangling down on the left, lobsided, the bracket on one side had obviously broken. 5 minutes later I come across it parked up, now with the whole thing hanging off and the yummy mummy on the phone calling for help. I’m sure Des Cullen himself was on his way.

Maybe there is a God after all, one less junker obscuring my view of the road ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

07 or 08 ? A few weeks ago I saw a Kahn RR parked up / hazards on under the flyover at UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Couldn’t help but laugh this morning. A Range Rover Kahn in front of me had its double exhaust dangling down on the left, lobsided, the bracket on one side had obviously broken. 5 minutes later I come across it parked up, now with the whole thing hanging off and the yummy mummy on the phone calling for help. I’m sure Des Cullen himself was on his way.

Maybe there is a God after all, one less junker obscuring my view of the road ahead.

RR Kahn Junker?

Jealous are we :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

For those who don't know what it is...
    C3R99YDJ.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

This was a 06. To be honest I like the RR but Kahn is a step too far for me.

i like the one linked :D

id never buy one to be fair!

ive noticed that on a lot of them, the quad exhaust does look very flimsy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Lads, would ye go for the "overfinch" instead of the "kahn"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Neither, I hold these pumped up SUV's in the same contempt that I would for a Ferrari pretending to be an off roader, utterly pointless IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Lads, would ye go for the "overfinch" instead of the "kahn"?

One of the mates traded in his evo9 for one back in february over in the uk and to be fair it is a savage piece of kit. You really need to see one in the flesh to appreciate it, and it can fairly move too for a heavy 4wd.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Neither, I hold these pumped up SUV's in the same contempt that I would for a Ferrari pretending to be an off roader, utterly pointless IMO.

so would I ..and that's why I am so unsure if I should move this thread to the 4x4 forum or not :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

For those who don't know what it is...
    C3R99YDJ.jpg

Ah, a tasteless as well as pointless and unnecessary car. At least the standard RR has taste.

You might as well hand out your bank statement to everyone you see.

• Advertisement

standard RRs are relatively slow tho

From a "looks" point of view, I saw an OverFinch one in white at the weekend and it looked good I must say. Better than the Kahn imho.
    Peasant could be right, this is turning into a 4x4 thread.

Not the supercharged V8 petrol which you can get in the standard RR. Overfinch will just tune the engine for you if you want and leave all that tat in the bin where it belongs.

You couldn't climb a kerb in that RR not mind a mountain. It makes a show of the RR which is a brilliant off roader (although I hate to admit it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Cyrus wrote: »
    i like the one linked :D

id never buy one to be fair!

ive noticed that on a lot of them, the quad exhaust does look very flimsy!

..........so have I. Every one I have seen has had the pipes poorly aligned. Very unprofessional on ANY car let alone one of that price.

I saw two last week at the petrol pumps, an '07 Black one, and an '08 white one. The white actually looked fantastic, I wouldn't have it, but it stood out.

It was funny as the owner of the black one was a beer bellied builder type guy who smiled and nodded over at the young blonde dolly in the white one who looked disgusted at the attention and turned away ! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This sort of thread brings the sandal-wearing hippy out in me! :p

Horrid looking box and how much dare I ask?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Ferris wrote: »
    You couldn't climb a kerb in that RR not mind a mountain. It makes a show of the RR which is a brilliant off roader (although I hate to admit it).

Why not? All they do is increase the wheel size and lower them a tad. Im sure the dynamics that make the RR a great off roader cant be that drastically changed by doing this???

Anyway thats not the point of the overfinch/Kahn rangerovers. They look great imo, much more aggressive and purposeful and the best thing about them is that you can spec exactly what you want from them so can customise the car to your own taste. Id certainly have one if I could afford a couple of expensive cars, great for the school run :D

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Why not? All they do is increase the wheel size and lower them a tad. Im sure the dynamics that make the RR a great off roader cant be that drastically changed by doing this???

Low profile tyres are useless off road ...all you'll get is no traction and damaged rims.

Lowering the suspension also is counter productive ...the most important thing about keeping traction off road is suspension travel/axle articulation so that all wheels are and stay in contact with the ground.

on that note ...thread moved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

peasant wrote: »
    Low profile tyres are useless off road ...all you'll get is no traction and damaged rims.

Lowering the suspension also is counter productive ...the most important thing about keeping traction off road is suspension travel/axle articulation so that all wheels are and stay in contact with the ground.

All very true and the lower suspension would decrease the approach and departure angles. I'd say that the quad exhaust hanging on the back would decrease the departure angle too.

I dont like the Kahn Range Rovers, the wheels are so tacky and make you look like a drug dealer or a pimp or something! I think the Overfinch wheels are far nicer and look a bit classier:

landrover202.jpg

While I "get" the wish for more power, I don't understand the engineering sacriledge that goes on with those modifications.

Countless man hours were spent on making the RR one of the most capable off-roaders out there, while providing luxo-barge comfort levels.

And then someone with more money than sense comes along and adds bling and shiney bits that render the whole concept utterly useless.

And then someone with more money than sense comes along and adds bling and shiney bits that render the whole concept utterly useless.

Thats where the MOOOOLAH is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Is it bad that I get what the Khan is all about and really want one?
    What are the chances of the 'yummy mummy' driving the one the op mentioned ever wanting to take it off road anyway?

Onkle wrote: »
    Is it bad that I get what the Khan is all about and really want one?
    What are the chances of the 'yummy mummy' driving the one the op mentioned ever wanting to take it off road anyway?

my personal opinion

Bad? ...no, you can buy/drive whatever you like.

But a little bit sad, maybe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It looks good and it's not built for off road, sporty looking RR

D'ya know what you'll also get off road? - Passed, by a series 1 Land Rover. :pac:

These cars are the pinnacle of the stupid SUV 'look at me' culture that looks cheap but actually isn't.

Before I get hopped on, the standard RR is an engineering feat, i've driven a diesel one and it was lovely. Its just that its so wide that you can't comfortably drive it on country roads. I was terrified everytime I had to pass an oncoming car, whose driver was also probably sh1ting it thinking he was going to get run over.

Why not get an S-class merc instead if you're not going off-road and an A6 allroad if you have to tow?

Ferris wrote: »
    Why not get an S-class merc instead if you're not going off-road and an A6 allroad if you have to tow?

To the yummy mummy - they don't exude the image of wealth - like Gucci, Dolce etc.

A Shallow and Sad world we live in aint it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I too like and understand the full size RR, and it has a lovely interior, unlike the cheap plastic cr4p in the Sport.

I do like the Overfinch, these guys used to yanks the standard V8 and replace it with a tuned small block Chevy 5.7litre !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

..........so have I. Every one I have seen has had the pipes poorly aligned. Very unprofessional on ANY car let alone one of that price.

I saw two last week at the petrol pumps, an '07 Black one, and an '08 white one. The white actually looked fantastic, I wouldn't have it, but it stood out.

It was funny as the owner of the black one was a beer bellied builder type guy who smiled and nodded over at the young blonde dolly in the white one who looked disgusted at the attention and turned away ! cool.gif

seems to be the best place to find an SUV:D

This is what happens when you put low profile road tyres on a Range Rover :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

LOL now imagine him with a horsebox on the the back!
    i love the look and feel of the the RR with its leather seats,thick carpet and the acres of space inside specially in the back, and its presence but the "bling" of the kahn and overfinch is just a bit too tacky for me,it lacks subtlety and class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

That is pathetic! my FWD A4 would get across that field way easier. But I dont really care what muppets buy SUVs and bling them out or put pointless wheels on then, I'll just happy with the knowledge that they are paying in deprecation for my nice 4x4 in a few years time:cool:

Advertisement