Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this car worth the price??

Options
  • 07-05-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi I have never driven before, and am still learning to drive, but this guy from my bf's road has offered to sell me his Mitsubishi Colt 00, for 3,200...

Is this a good price for A 00 COLT?? It also has an NCT Cert on it til 2010, but I don't know if that could be just a fake one.

I haven't a clue about cars and really want to buy it, but only if it really is worth the price..

Can anyone help me please, as he wants me to decide tmrw evening??

Is a Mitsubishi Colt 00 worth 3,200 NCT'd til 2010???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Its sounds like you don't trust him for some reason. Take your time.

So what if he wants an answer tomorrow eve, does he think he's doing you a favour? I doubt it, There's no shortage of cars at the moment. Never ever buy the first car you see, unless you look at others and then decide if the first one was the best(rarely happens).

If you see some others you may decide to go back to him later, try and get some sort of proper mechanic to look at it for you(not his or not an enthusiast)

you don't mention the colour ,body type ,no of owners or mileage,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I agree with biggus, there's lots of bargains to be had at the moment, it's a buyers market.

Don't buy private without getting an independant mechanic to give it the once over, might cost €50 but could save you €1000's

Be patient, It'll pay off.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

http://www.cbg.ie/car.asp?make=Mitsubishi&modid=167&YearRange=2000|2000&minYear=2000&maxYear=2000&VTypeID=1

I have posted a link to CBG's website with some 2000 Colts on it.

For a start he is the seller your the buyer Never ever be rushed into buying something especially your first car.

Get a mechanic to check it out first.

Then run a vehicle check on it, it will cost you i'm afraid http://www.carsireland.ie/car-check.html

This will help you ascertain whether a car has:
    • Been imported
    • Been cloned
    • Been Written off
    • Been used as a taxi
    • Forged NCT
    • Forged logbook
    • Incorrect spec
    • Numerous owners
    • Colour changed
    • Replaced engine
    • Outstanding finance
    • Been clocked
    • Been recalled
    • Been stolen
    • Been auctioned
    • A current NCT
    • Valid road tax
    Remember buying privately means you won't have any come back if there is any problems with the car once bought.

Be sure about the car before you spend your well earned on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sandra-tallaght

Thanks for the replies. The mileage I think he said is 69000. I do want to get a mechanic to drive up and have a look at it, would I get that done for 50??

Thanks for the links, will check them out..

I actually don't trust ANYONE! I'm always so cautious about EVERYTHING! But he lives on my bf's road, so that put me off the idea that he was gonna rip me.

Still I do want to get a mechanic..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Very good advice & @ bazzachazza good "check-up list", although with reference to -
    [*]Been imported
    given that every single car on Irish roads has been imported (save perhaps for the select few DeLoreans still about :D), that's a bit of a misnomer :pac:

[/facetious mode off]

@ OP - have a test drive in a few cars (S/H at dealers) first, this will give you a good grounding in what you then want/not want from your first car (car size, engine size, tranny type, gadgets, etc.). Assuming of course you're not just shopping "for a price".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Sorry that was a cut and paste from the website. I would agree on most cars like that being imported and it not being an important factor.

But Sandra don't fall for the he lives on my BF's road so he won't rip me off. Everyone and anyone will and can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Sandra

You have probably made your decision by now, but anyway, heres my advice.

I own a colt, its a 97, and i bought it last year for 3,000.

NOTHING has had to be replaced on it yet, except for an indicator bulb (that cost about €1.50)

I too am a girl, I didnt know anything about cars, but luckily my boyfriend knows alot about them, so he checked this out with me.

Definately make sure someone goes with you to check it out. But generally, colts are reliable cars, I couldnt be any happier with my car. I paid almost what tour paying for a car 3 years younger than mine. I would say that price wise its a good deal, but that depends on the state of it obviously.

Make sure you are getting a full service included though for that price.

hope all goes well for ya, they are a sweet first car!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

colts are an ok, deffo get someone to check it out with you just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

2 year NCT is good, but 3.2 grand for an 8 year old Colt is way overpriced for a private sale. Do not buy it at all unless you have a mechanic to check it out and give it the green light. If all signs are green, offer €1.5k

If the seller doesn't accept, walk away. It is more of a buyers market than ever before and you will be able to buy a similar car from a dealer with a warranty for very little money at the moment

peanuthead wrote: »
    I own a colt, its a 97, and i bought it last year for 3,000

You bought a 10 year old Colt for €3k?

I presume that was from a dealer with a long warranty and the car having a full 2 year NCT? Still, that was quite expensive. Did you check out any other cars before you bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

unkel wrote: »
    2 year NCT is good, but 3.2 grand for an 8 year old Colt is way overpriced for a private sale. Do not buy it at all unless you have a mechanic to check it out and give it the green light. If all signs are green, offer €1.5k

If the seller doesn't accept, walk away. It is more of a buyers market than ever before and you will be able to buy a similar car from a dealer with a warranty for very little money at the moment

What planet are you on.€1.5k for a 00 colt ive seen 00 puntos making that money.

As for the origanal poster you cant go far wrong with a colt but do get it checked out by a mechanic.
    Let me know what part of the country your in if your close to me ill look at it for you.

The only thing to look for really is to see was the timing belt done it would have been due at 60k.

Other than that colts are good little cars trouble free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

What planet are you on.€1.5k for a 00 colt ive seen 00 puntos making that money.

As for the origanal poster you cant go far wrong with a colt but do get it checked out by a mechanic.
    Let me know what part of the country your in if your close to me ill look at it for you.

The only thing to look for really is to see was the timing belt done it would have been due at 60k.

Other than that colts are good little cars trouble free.

theres also the headgasket on them, look for whitish looking stuff under the oil cap, or irridium coloured coolant/rough running etc, the rear control arms are a bit of a weak point for them too, stand at the back of the car looking forward and see if the wheel looks like its standing straight and not tilted either in or out., other than the stuff mentioned their a pretty decent car but as always you need to get someone who knows what their looking for to go with you.,
    is it the 1.3L one your looking at? their pretty sluggish compared to similar cars with the same size engine.,

unkel wrote: »
    You bought a 10 year old Colt for €3k?

I presume that was from a dealer with a long warranty and the car having a full 2 year NCT? Still, that was quite expensive. Did you check out any other cars before you bought?

No it wasnt off a dealer, it was a private sale. It was a friend of a friend, not that that had any influence over my decision. There was no warranty at all on it, however that did include a service, valet (as previous owner was a smoker!!), full NCT, taxed for 2 months, replacement of brake pads n replacement of timimg belt.

Yes I was looking for a car for 2 months before I bought this one. If you think I paid too much, think again. Not one thing has been replaced on this car since I bought it, except a left indicator bulb!! My brother bought a Peugeot 106 for 2,500, i think its a 98/99. He bought it from a dealer, and id say he has nearly spent another 2,500 fixing it.

I am over the moon with my decision to buy this car, and Im so grateful to my bf for suggesting I get one. As for saying they are slow, they are a great first car, I dont find them slow at all when compared with other first cars, ie: micras!!

Someone mentioned Punto's above, now theres a car to steer clear of....wouldnt go near a corsa either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry that was a cut and paste from the website. I would agree on most cars like that being imported and it not being an important factor.

"imported cars" in Ireland generally refers to 2nd hand ones from Japan. Some insurance companies will load you for this even if it's the same model as one originally available here. I've heard in some cases that there are differences in some parts, which could mean having to source them from much further away. Some main dealers won't service an imported car, but there's not much point going to a main dealer as it won't affect the resale either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

the answer to your question in short is;

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

the answer to your question in short is;

NO.
    Much to my surprise, it seems that they do indeed go on sale for that price - and more. Look at the search results on carzone. There are some on sale for nearly twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

No it wasnt off a dealer, it was a private sale. It was a friend of a friend, not that that had any influence over my decision. There was no warranty at all on it, however that did include a service, valet (as previous owner was a smoker!!), full NCT, taxed for 2 months, replacement of brake pads n replacement of timimg belt.

Yes I was looking for a car for 2 months before I bought this one. If you think I paid too much, think again. Not one thing has been replaced on this car since I bought it, except a left indicator bulb!! My brother bought a Peugeot 106 for 2,500, i think its a 98/99. He bought it from a dealer, and id say he has nearly spent another 2,500 fixing it.

I am over the moon with my decision to buy this car, and Im so grateful to my bf for suggesting I get one. As for saying they are slow, they are a great first car, I dont find them slow at all when compared with other first cars, ie: micras!!
    QUOTE]

no offence or anything but you Really need you head checked.

i know im in the trade and all but lets be honest , id just buy a shell for 200-300 and bolt in a mi-vec or such an engine.... the 1.3 engine produces as much power as john gormley does C02 ;)

QUOTE]

i know im in the trade and all but lets be honest , id just buy a shell for 200-300 and bolt in a mi-vec or such an engine.... the 1.3 engine produces as much power as john gormley does C02 ;)[/quote]

Hey!! Thats not nice!!!!

Well ok,maybe if I was a mechanic I would do that instead, but what some of you guys need to realise is that not everyone is, and not everyone could be bothered with the hassle!!!!

Also, its a first car. For a girl. Its fine. And I still dont think I paid too much, maybe I did, but I dont think I did. And that 3K is ALL the car has cost me in 2 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Sandra

You have probably made your decision by now, but anyway, heres my advice.

I own a colt, its a 97, and i bought it last year for 3,000.

NOTHING has had to be replaced on it yet, except for an indicator bulb (that cost about €1.50)

I too am a girl, I didnt know anything about cars, but luckily my boyfriend knows alot about them, so he checked this out with me.

Definately make sure someone goes with you to check it out. But generally, colts are reliable cars, I couldnt be any happier with my car. I paid almost what tour paying for a car 3 years younger than mine. I would say that price wise its a good deal, but that depends on the state of it obviously.

Make sure you are getting a full service included though for that price.

hope all goes well for ya, they are a sweet first car!!!!

Your boyfriend does'nt know much about cars if he advised you to buy a 97' colt for 3000 euro. These have to be one of the most boring cars ever produced and any amount of tarting up will just turn it into a muppet motor.
    ie - all show and no go. Even if you "dropped in a bigger engine " you'd fall off the road at the first bend.
    To the OP , there are far nicer cars out there. A fiesta or a yaris are so much better to drive and are equally as relabile.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

QUOTE]

And that 3K is ALL the car has cost me in 2 years!!!

Your car runs on air?

Joking aside, surely its cost you the price of a service in the 2years?

• Advertisement

My brother bought a Peugeot 106 for 2,500, i think its a 98/99

Madness. Why are people paying so much? :confused:

A 98/99 in good condition isn't worth more than a grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

S.I.R wrote: »

i know im in the trade and all but lets be honest , id just buy a shell for 200-300 and bolt in a mi-vec or such an engine.... the 1.3 engine produces as much power as john gormley does C02 ;)

Sorry to go complete OT here, but what exactly do you do for a living S.I.R? I thought you were only 16/17. hardly enough time to establish yourself in any trade?

Advertisement