Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry HL

Options
  • 07-05-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

So who's learning off 5 or 6 poets or who's gambling on a few?

I reckon I'll gamble on 3 - probably Mahon, Rich and Montague

What about ye?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I'm studying Rich, Boland and Plath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I dunno, I don't have much time. I have only learned Rich so far this year, I do nothing for English *gulp*.

I don't want to take a risk but I think I may have to..

If I was to take a risk I think I'd study Rich, Boland and Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Basically done Montague, Rich, Plath, Boland and Mahon.
    I'm not going to concentrate on Montague though, because I don't like him all that much. Any of the others would be nice to get. I'm not terribly gone on Rich but she's easy enough to talk about, I'd like if Plath came up but it seems unlikely. I'm not one for predicting and all though, I'd rather not take chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I'm doing Boland and Rich, I know it's a big gamble etc but tbh I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Lol. I'm about in the same boat, I've done absolutely nothing for English all year - the class is a joke, and I've just been enjoying it. Now, however, I'm just gonna start learning some ****. I have the time to about-well study a few poets - I want 3, 2 essays for the comparative and be able to touch on the other, and the most likely stuff about Othello (I have ok-general knowledge that I'll be banking on if something tough comes up).

I was going to learn Boland, Donne and Rich (Rich if I have time, I might only have time to well-touch on her).

It's not THAT MUCH of a gamble is it? Many people in my English class are banking on Boland and that's all they're doing ("Boland's PRIME!!"). Obviously that's the less-interested ones, but they're extremely confident about that one (I also know that it's sole trader in accounting Q1 from these guys.... OL).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

mahon and donne and a little rich....the rest of the poets are boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I'm doing rich boland frost and donne
    maybe plath so i know i'll have at least one but rich is coming up for sure in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm doing Rich,Boland,Donne,Mahon,Frost and Larkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Alright guys, BIG CONSIDERATION: I know you would all probably get away with just studying Mahon and Boland, but think about it everyones doing those so on the day the questions on them will be real nasty.

Im doing Boland Rich Mahon Larkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

turgon wrote: »
    Alright guys, BIG CONSIDERATION: I know you would all probably get away with just studying Mahon and Boland, but think about it everyones doing those so on the day the questions on them will be real nasty.

Im doing Boland Rich Mahon Larkin.

I know, I was thinking of doing Donne also since a lot of my class hate him (We're not doing Boland, our teacher took a gamble last year and we did Frost). Hopefully others do too so the question will be nice. :)
    "why does his poetry still appeal to us today?" or some crap like that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Bowden

Hopefully Bolands comes up if so I win hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 White-Teeth

Your best idea is probably to prepare your three favourites very well, and have two backups in case the question goes wrong on the day.

Don't worry about people who say, "But what if the question is horrible?" The examiners will try to help you, not trick you. If you know your stuff, you can adapt it to any question.

Plus, if the question seems a little difficult, remember that everyone's in the same position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SebastienX

last year i left the poets till just the day before my english exam. because i knew id forget the essays i learnt off etc. i learnt off three poets and all 3 came up on exam so i was smothered with choice thank god. and i got B+ in english so i was happy with that. I reckon for people thinking whether th gamble of learning off 3 is too risky, i disagree because once you know the 3 inside out you have a chance of getting an A in that section rather than having more poets but only capable of getting like 70%.
    Of course thats if your pushed for time. But regardless of knowing the opet or not, you would have been in the class so you could babble a 50% without a large amount of knowledge. So gamble is worth it in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

To Sebastian, you got a B+? what grade is that?
    I'm repeating english this year, having got a B1 in honours last year...
    IMO it is not worth gambling on poets that "may" come up..
    Imagine you had only learned one or two, one came up and the question was extremely horrible... yes I believe you would be quite screwed.
    Somebody above stated that they believe Plath will come up, no she won't. She was on the paper last year and chances of her coming up again are slim to none for 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

our whole class are doing montague, mahon and boland... my teacher said 1 of them will almost defo come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Jayeire wrote: »
    Imagine you had only learned one or two, one came up and the question was extremely horrible... yes I believe you would be quite screwed.
    Somebody above stated that they believe Plath will come up, no she won't. She was on the paper last year and chances of her coming up again are slim to none for 2008.

I bet they said the same thing about Plath in 2003...

I remain confident that she'll come up. I also don't think there's much point worrying about horrible questions. They haven't asked one in eight years. I doubt they'll risk the backlash from less-able students and their parents and teachers if they were to start this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

We're doing rich,plath,mahon,boland and larkin
    Boland is by far the easiest poet to write about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SebastienX

Jayeire wrote: »
    B1 rather than B+ (so used to college results now)

Im saying in terms of someone whos clearly not willing to do the work, the gamble of learning some of to perfection is best rather than vaguely flicking through them all. It worked for me, i was incredibly lucky and smothered with the amount of choice i had.
    As regards to plath coming up i would also be skeptical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Stressed!

Im studing Donne
    Rich
    Boland
    Mahon
    Plath
    I think its safer to have 5.....that way at least one of them will turn up!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 diagirl

I know Boland, Rich, Mahon and Larkin well, but I've completely discounted Plath as she came up last year. If she does come up then me=totally screwed... My class have been hounding our teacher for hints but she's trying not to influence us, but you can count on an Irish poet and a female poet coming up each year I think, and Boland ticks both those boxes so I'm crossing my fingers for her (she's my fav, very easy to write about in my opinion)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Plus, if the question seems a little difficult, remember that everyone's in the same position.

Weel white teeth, that is exactly my point. The boland Q might be harder, so those doing Larkin for example will not be "in the same position" as the Q will be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

we only started doing poetry just before Christmas:rolleyes:, all we've covered is Boland, Mahon and Rich.
    Everyone seems to be banking on Rich to come up.
    If not, i'm royally screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Same :D I might throw in Mahon if i'm feeling adventurous

Advertisement