Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lopsided kitty

Options
  • 07-05-2008 9:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

there's a youngish black cat that hangs around my sisters house and for the last couple of days he has been hiding out of reach under the shed, he came out from under it today and he doesn't look well.

when he walks he manages a few steps before it looks like his legs just give out from under him, typically on the left side.. he doesn't seem to be in any pain, and when we pet him there's just the normal cat reaction, He seems to be having trouble with his neck as well, he can't lift it straight up.. he has to kind of swivel his head around (kinda like a parrot.. i think).

this can only be something serious, right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

That certainly sounds like it could be any one of a few medical conditions I'm thinking of.... Or because of injury. Is he an 'owned' cat or a stray? If he's a stray and you would be willing to help him, I would urge you to get him to a vet, he definitely sounds very uncomfortable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think he's a stray, but it's an estate and he and his mother look fairly well kept and well fed (even before my sister started being crazy cat lady) so.. they could be sort of communal neighbourhood cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sounds like hes gotten a slap of a car or similar. I would deffo urge your sister to take it to the vet or call the hspcvspca or whatever its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The poor little thing. Def needs attention asap. Cats are notorious for hiding their symptoms of illness - so its usually quite serious by the time you would notice anything.

You're in Carlow right? I think the vet at the Tullow Road has links with Carlow SPCA - if you can't afford the cat's treatment they may be able to assist, or at least put you in touch with someone who can. (Tullow Road Vet Clinic - ph 059 9130988). I can also give you a number for a cat rescue lady in Carlow (well, she is in Tullow) - PM me if you need the details.

Thats the sad thing about those stray cats hanging around estates - they can usually scavange enough food to survive, but if anything happens they don't have anyone to mind them. You and your sister are v. good to be so concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

i think he's a stray, but it's an estate and he and his mother look fairly well kept and well fed (even before my sister started being crazy cat lady) so.. they could be sort of communal neighbourhood cats

Mord is he eating by himself, if so and you cant get him to a vet there bring him up to dublin with you and ill take him into work. He needs to be seen by a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i won't be able to bring him up to dublin, no cat carrier or anything like that. i'll talk to my sister about it tonight, and i'd say she'll call the vet msfifers mentioned.

thanks anyway jules :)

Advertisement