Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use screen!..

Options
  • 07-05-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd throw a reminder out that even our pets need a little sunscreen applied in this weather.

Poor ol' Jericho got a little sunburned around his face and ear's the other day.

I rang our Vet who said we haven't been the only one's caught out this week and recommended we applied high factor childrens sunblock (factor 35 or higher)..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Mairt wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw a reminder out that even our pets need a little sunscreen applied in this weather.

Poor ol' Jericho got a little sunburned around his face and ear's the other day.

I rang our Vet who said we haven't been the only one's caught out this week and recommended we applied high factor childrens sunblock (factor 35 or higher)..
    is there such thing as sunrcream or others for dogs or cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Any recommendations on brands that stay on better than others? One of my cats is getting a tiny bit burnt on his nose, I was thinking about putting sunscreen on it but I think he'l just lick it straight off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

This just reminded me... A friend used to have this huge big white crossbreed dog, he was always lying out in the sun with legs akimbo. One day he fried his scrotum really badly (bright red and awful looking), the owners had to sellotape a paintbrush to a broom handle and paint aftersun on him from afar cos he was so narky with it. LOL I can just picture it now, what must the neighbors have thought! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    This just reminded me... A friend used to have this huge big white crossbreed dog, he was always lying out in the sun with legs akimbo. One day he fried his scrotum really badly (bright red and awful looking), the owners had to sellotape a paintbrush to a broom handle and paint aftersun on him from afar cos he was so narky with it. LOL I can just picture it now, what must the neighbors have thought! :o

BWAHAHAHAHA, oh man that was a laugh!.

Re. sunscreen. My vet advised using childrens (human children ;) ) high factor sunscreen. Seem's to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    the owners had to sellotape a paintbrush to a broom handle and paint aftersun on him from afar cos he was so narky with it.

I am creased up laughing at the thoughts of that! very innovative of them, but the poor dog!Ow.

Also - if any of your pets are predominantly white-furred, be extra sure to apply sunscreen to the tips of their ears. My mother has a pure white cat that ended up having to get the tips of it's ears surgically removed due to skin cancer as the hair offers no protection and they're like fair-skinned people, very prone to sun damage. Very common in white cats apparently.
    Poor cat looks more like a meercat now, with a round head and virtually no ears, but she has adapted and managed to grow enough hair out of the inner part of her ears to protect the area from dust etc. Similar to an older human male.

• Advertisement

+1, echosound, that's really important, particularly with cats as they tend to just sit there in one spot and absorb the sun. I haven't seen it in dogs personally, as a direct result of the sun, but I'm sure its around. Probably much more prevailant in hot countries too. In cats usually if there's even a hint of SCC (squamous cell carcinoma) in one ear tip, they'll whip it off and the other one too just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Also if dogs have a pink nose like some white german shepherds, it can get sun burnt

My dog burnt his chest before, he's a greyhound, so quite thin hair on his chest / abdomen + is mainly white with pinky skin, he was lounging in the sun and came in bright red. They're skin is paper thin too, so I suppose they would be predisposed to it too. Its just so rarely hot enough that we have to think about putting on sunscreen, its overlooked most of the time. I did feel like a neglectful owner though :(

But like they say, we should be wearing at least factor 15 EVERY day, not just when its sunny, why should it be any different for pale skinned pets?

Advertisement