Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know your neighbours?

Options
  • 07-05-2008 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭

I was just reading the grass cutting thread and its gas how many people don't interact with their neighbours, except to cut grass/discuss gardens etc

So my question is.... do you get on with your neighbours? Do you know what your neighbours look like? Have you ever had a conversation with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hell no. I'm not interested in getting to know them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yeah I like my neighbours, my estate is pretty quiet and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I live in a house that's devided into three flats.

I spoke to the neighbours below me once when my toilet flooded and water started pouring into their flat!

New people moved into the flat at the back of the house and I spoke to one of them briefly. I told him what day was bin day and that we have no timetable for the green bin so just keep an eye out for other peoples green bins out and put ours out on the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Ive seen mine but havent spoken to them yet. though its only been 4 months im living in my current house so give it time!

Its weird though cos at home in Dublin i know nearly everyone on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I was just reading the grass cutting thread and its gas how many people don't interact with their neighbours, except to cut grass/discuss gardens etc

So my question is.... do you get on with your neighbours? Do you know what your neighbours look like? Have you ever had a conversation with them?

wasn't there something on TV this morning about this on UTV or bbc one of them british stations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We live in a semi-detached and have only spoken to neighbour once! They don't seem to mix.

But we do get on with everyone else around us.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yes, I have the parish priest ne one side of me and a polish family on the other...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Live in a semi-detached house. My neighbour is an old woman who has no relatives apart from a niece i think. She spends loads of time watching TV with the volume full blast cause she's deaf as a post. She's grand though and i do the odd job for her like changing a light bulb or whatever..
    Funniest thing was when, not long after we moved in she mentioned how quiet we were and that she never heard a sound from us. Reason being, she has the TV on full blast from 7.30am until 11pm..

Most my neighbours are old as fcuk.. Only unmarried couple in the street!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Ah our neighbour is lovely.
    In his 80's but sharp as a rake.

Went to an industrial school where abuse was rampant. He had a bit of a temper so was left alone but some of the stuff he saw was shocking.

He's always coming round, he just likes the company. He always lets himself in as we don't lock our door.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Lived in the same estate for 20 yrs - Our neighbours have changed recently.

I dont like the new ones ! They both smoke - but they dont want to smoke indoors - fair enough. But rather than go out the back they stand in their front garden smoking :confused:

It just looks so "common" imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Never knew my neighbours anywhere I lived, until I moved back to the area where I grew up (parents gave me a site).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I remember living back in Dublin and how great everyone was there. I miss the sense of community I had living in the street I grew up in where everyone knew one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

im only 19 so im still at home with the parents.but my neighbours on one side are good friends.grew up with them.only really hang around with one of them cause shes a year younger than me and we get along great.

dont really like the neighbours on the other side.bit of bad blood between us thats not worth going into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I live in the country side so yes i do know my neighbours and everybody in a 10 mile radius I dare say.

beerbaron wrote: »

I dont like the new ones ! They both smoke - but they dont want to smoke indoors - fair enough. But rather than go out the back they stand in their front garden smoking :confused:

Snob, imo.

When I lived in the inner city I knew everyone on my road and most of the people on the road next to it. Moved to an estate in Drumcondra and only knew the lads i hung around with from the estate and nobody else. Now I live in an apartment in Santry and don't know anyone at all except for one couple in a different block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Yep I know a good few of my neighbours.
    Bought a semi-d in a newly built estate in my home town and I used to play football for our local GAA club with the neighbour joined on to my house.
    Same goes for a neighbour 4 doors up ... and another neighbour 2 doors down!

Next door neighbour on the other side worked with a relation of mine and I was in national school with the person living 2 doors up!

Around the corner are another few people I knew from secondary school plus a couple of people from where I work now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

We get on great with the neighbours! Over the hot weekend, we'd be sitting out in the back garden, soaking up the rays of sunshine, having a couple of beers. We'd often head out for a few drinks together as well. Been living here for about 3 years and never met them before. Would call them friends now more than neighbours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Who me?

I get on really well with the neighbours. We don't live in each others pockets but will do each other a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

you moron

you moron

As much as i agree with the sentiments, that's the wrong way to go about it. Reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I don't know any of my neighbours now. When I lived back with the parentals I knew most of the neighbours on our road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Know all my neighbours very well with 28 yrs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

A joke right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Living in a an apartment building and have only really seen the girls across the hall. One of the three is nice and friendly, two others are quite rude. They also seem to be incapable of closing any door without slamming it.

On the street where I grew up I knew all the neighbours. It's a lovely road.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Yep. Know the ones in my cul de sac and the ones over my back wall. Dont know any of the ones in rented houses round here cos they dont talk to the regulars. Dont know any of the east europeans .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I speak to my neighbour whenever we see each other in our front gardens. Light-hearted banter. I despise gossipy people.

Familiarity breeds contempt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Yeah, we'd all know each other pretty well to chat to, and there's a few we'd call in to for drinks at Christmas or on a sunny day. It's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I know mine - but only cause they own a few lovely shoe shops in town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I don't know any of my neighbours. I don't want to know any of my neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I live in an apartment block in Belfast. The nature of the place is sort of transient tenant occupied apartments so you never really get to know any heighbours.

Back home though, I know the neighbours and all get on well. All round for a mince pie and a drop of brandy at Christmas etc.

Advertisement