Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless icon but not detected in IE

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭

I would like to know why in Windows when I am in a wireless hot spot I am able to connect to the wireless network and the icon in the system tray shows it connected with a strong signal but when I open IE or Firefox it doesn't detect it?
    It's nothing to do with the Connection settings, I have it set to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" or else "never dial a connection" but still no page displays.
    It's not a firewall issue either. It doesn't happen with every wireless network, only some.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

lukin wrote: »
    I would like to know why in Windows when I am in a wireless hot spot I am able to connect to the wireless network and the icon in the system tray shows it connected with a strong signal but when I open IE or Firefox it doesn't detect it?
    It's nothing to do with the Connection settings, I have it set to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" or else "never dial a connection" but still no page displays.
    It's not a firewall issue either. It doesn't happen with every wireless network, only some.

Some wireless networks require the 'automatically detect settings' box in Internet options (LAN) to be ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Check to see if you're getting an IP address. If you have one which starts with 169.*.*.*, its not valid.

Right click on the wireless network and click status, that should show you your IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

Turns out the hotel I was staying said they had bitbuzz but hadn't. Bitbuzz cut off the service for some reason they said. I would never have stayed there if I'd known that.:mad:

Advertisement