Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Bars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

This croud are very good, got some gear from here for my fixie, nice people to deal with and they have the bars that you are looking for:

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/index.htm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Deda Velocita, polished chrome, £40 sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I have some Nitto ones and while they are very sexy looking, they're very fuppin' deep! Just get some regular ones and put bar tape on and nobody'll notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

They had those Deda ones in the Cycle Superstore a while back - not sure if they're still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Hi

I had a set of nitto randonneur bars (45cm wide) on my fixie but I've succumbed to the ultimate fixie courier fashion by taking an old set of riser bars and chopping them very narrow.

I'd keep these, but I actually already have another set spare (long story), so these ones are for sale if anyone wants them? One scratch on the side where I leaned the bike on a rough wall. No bar tape ever wrapped on them so no sticky bits. €20. I'm based in the city centre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Itsfixed wrote: »
    I had a set of nitto randonneur bars (45cm wide) on my fixie

They look like road bars from that angle.
    Itsfixed wrote: »
    but I've succumbed to the ultimate fixie courier fashion by taking an old set of riser bars and chopping them very narrow.

Never understood this one. Why do they use narrow bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

20€ sold if you're still willing to sell! I was literally on my way to buy this bar online this minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have pretty narrow flat bar on at the moment..

http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00015zr6.jpg

I find them a bit restrictive tho'

If the sale of those fall through I will take them for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »

I presume it's to squeeze in and out of traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »
    Fixie riders have long signed-off on practicality, they are after all riding bikes with no gears or brakes ;-)

I would guess the original idea (from messengers) was that very narrow bars are easier to get through narrow gaps between cars.

With drops from a track perspective I imagine they want to be just wide enough that your knees don't hit your elbows, and no more (from an aerodynamic point of view) but that is no different than a normal road bike bar-sizing rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

sold to beans.

Yeah, the idea behind narrow bars is at least partly to slip in between cars in heavy dublin traffic, but its also a nod to the emerging fixed freestyle scene (particularly risers).

Check out urbanvelo.org magazine (online, issue 7) to see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

Anyone have any of the fortold bars? Or any track bars really? Nitto 123's would be a indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Yeah Stein I have some Nittos I don't use any more. I'll sell 'em to ya if you like. Send us a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

blorg wrote: »
    Fixie riders have long signed-off on practicality, they are after all riding bikes with no gears or brakes ;-)

I would guess the original idea (from messengers) was that very narrow bars are easier to get through narrow gaps between cars.

With drops from a track perspective I imagine they want to be just wide enough that your knees don't hit your elbows, and no more (from an aerodynamic point of view) but that is no different than a normal road bike bar-sizing rule.
    I've drops on my fixie, but I find the vast majority of the time I could just be using narrow bars, my hands rarely move onto the curly bit.

I'm half thinking of chopping and flopping them.

Advertisement