Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Charger

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Right so, basically i lost my charger for my laptop and I'm now using a different charger for it
    Well the first different worked well but i thought my battery life didnt last as long, now it could just be the laptop because it is kinda old
    im now using a different one again because i had to give the last one to someone else and now it says I'm on AC power and it doesnt seem to be charging at all
    now could either charger be doing damage to my laptops battery and why is this second one saying im on AC power because im sure it charged it before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

What type of laptop is it? To answer your question re: whether the charger could be damaging the laptop, well possibly. If you turn the laptop upside down and look on the bootom you should see the required voltage input (ie. 18v @ so many amps 19.5v @ so many amps) now compare this against the markings on the charger your using. If its a Dell laptop, some Dell chargers , the centre pin on the AC adaptor is a data pin which tells the laptop whether its a 65w or 90w adapter and because most "universal" adapters dont have this data pin sometimes they power the laptop but dont charge the battery. May or may not apply in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

well its a median laptop and a dell charger, it says on the charger 19V @ 2.4A and it says on the laptop 19V @ 3.42A(max) so technically it should be alright. it does say on the bottom for use with certain charger only but i suppose it says that on most laptops. ive just noticed that although its still on AC power it does appear to have charged the laptop although very slowly

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's could be because the standard dell charger would be providing more amps than the one you are using. As for the only to be used with blah blah blah charger that's on them all as far as I know so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

The amp nummber is the "flow" of electricity from the AC adapter to your laptop, seeing as its less than what your laptop requires to charge the battery at normal speed it will charge the battery as you found out but just at a slower pace.

Advertisement