Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to USA - costs?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Howdy All,

I will be moving to the US later on this year and I was wondering if anyone had done similar and if so how they got on?

Mainly interested in a rough cost of moving (1 person, no furniture, just a few boxes of stuff - about a van load I suppose).

But any other info would be appreciated too, like any issues with customs or moving companies or anything non-visa related like that really.

Thanks a lot all!
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I mailed most of my stuff a few months beforehand, split it up into a few boxes and the rest I brought in my luggage (I had 8 suitcases but lucky they didn't bother to charge me extra even though I had the money already for it). Maybe not the smartiest or cheapest thing to do but just the way I done it. I think Aer Lingus have a cargo section in the company, might be worth giving them a call. Had no trouble at customs or anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Cheers for the info - man 8 suitcases? that's funny!

Any particular reason you didnt use a moving company like Oman or the like? Probably more expensive then shipping the stuff yourself I imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I guess I didn't do enough research on it and just decided to ship it myself and had plenty of time before I was actually ready to move. Best of luck with the move, hope it works out.

Advertisement