Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerbil - certain type

Options
  • 06-05-2008 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi guys. I have searched all the threads and other sites and cannot find enough information.

I am looking for an artic gerbil. I seen one at an open farm and want to get one. I'm pretty sure the guy described it as an artic.

I have owned pets before and I am usually a dog person. But it would not be fair on a dog to live where I currently live and I might not be able to give them enough attention for walks etc. So I am hoping for this gerbil.

1- Places i can get one?
    2 -Anything I should look out for?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TBH I have never heard of an artic gerbil - can you describe what it looked like? It may just be a colour morph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 articgerbil

Yep I think it might have been the colour he was describing. White and Grey. Do you know of a place where I could find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

There's no recognised gerbil species kept in captivity called an Artic Gerbil but people call rodents all sorts of things. :D

Do a google search for the following (all commonly bred in Ireland and the UK):

Shaws Jird
    Mongolian Gerbil
    Winter white hamster
    Roborovski hamster
    Chinese Hamster
    Pallid Gerbil
    Degu

Does it look like any of them?

hadook wrote: »
    There's no recognised gerbil species kept in captivity called an Artic Gerbil but people call rodents all sorts of things.

Winter white hamster

Does it look like any of them?

That's the one!:D Thank you very much!

Edit to ask: and sorry if i'm testing your patience, but where can I get one in ireland. Will not be needing to buy it for three weeks. I looked on google and could only find places in england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not seen winter whites over here for sale - but I will ask around for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Thought it might be a hamster lol.

I believe I know of a guy who breeds them in Dublin. I'll check and see if I can find his details and what petshops he sells them to.

Thanks guys I'd appreciate it!

Advertisement