Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where is this?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

somewhere near Kilternan... anyone know how to access it? what road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like the chimney of the old lead mines on Carrigolligan (or Katie Gallagher). If you have the Ordnance Survey map of the area it's at GR O 226 209 approximately. You can get to it either from the Bray / Shankill side or from the Scalp road. There's a car park on the west side of it IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

THANKS Alun!

I found it on googlemaps thanks to your directions...click link for satellite image!

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.22449,-6.164006&spn=0.001638,0.005804&t=h&z=18

Now I can find out how to drive there. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, it's the old Ballychorus smelting tower near Carrickgollogan..
    Very nice it is up there too, and very easy to reach..

Also around the area is Carrickgollogan hill, which I think has nicer views, and as Alun mentioned, the Scalp, which is a lovely area for a short ramble.

Here's some pretty detailed maps from the County Council: Maps

The one you're interested in, would be around 13B and the top-right of 13D. You can see the paths/right of way symbols represented as Blue footsteps. Can be difficult to visualize the maps in separate pieces though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Thanks very much for those links Krusty! Perfect! ;)

Advertisement